Chapter 40

Maya's POV:

Today was the day. I've had it all planned out. I didn't dare tell anyone yet, they would just try to stop me. And I had to do this. I had to do this for everyone. For Riley. I was no good for her, and I had to go. But not run away-go, this was a much more permanent solution.

Cory was at work, Topanga was at work, Auggie was at school and so was Riley. Cory and Topanga had let me stay home today, as I had told them that I wasn't feeling well. It was true though. I was feeling sick over what was going to happen today, about how everyone would react to this. Especially Riley.

I looked at the time. I had to do it quick before Riley got home. I piled up my notes for everyone at the nightstand. There was one for Cory, Topanga, Auggie, Riley, Farkle, Lucas, Shawn, Angela, and even my mom. I didn't bother writing one for my dad. This was basically all his fault anyway.

I ran to the bathroom cabinet and grabbed the pills. I took out about a handful. This should be enough to do the job.

I kept popping some into my mouth, drinking a sip of water, and swallowing them. This was finally it. It's going to happen. There was no turning back. I laid on the bed and cried.

Goodbye everyone. I'm so sorry.
----------------------------------------------
Riley's POV:

"Finally we're home!" I sighed to my dad. "I can't wait to see Maya again."

"That reminds me. Your mom and I have something to tell her." He bit his lip.

"What? What is it?"

"It's nothing you'd be too worried about. You'll see." My dad opened the door. The room seemed so empty. That's weird, usually mom and Auggie were home before us.

"CORY? IS THAT YOU?" My mom yelled out. She sounded like she was crying.

"Yeah, what's wrong?"

"COME UP HERE QUICK! RILEY, STAY DOWNSTAIRS WITH YOUR BROTHER."

"What? Why?" I asked. I followed my dad upstairs, completely ignoring him shooing me away. Auggie followed as well.

"Topanga?"

"In here!" My mom sniffled. She quickly opened the door to my bedroom, let my dad in, and shut it before I could take a look. What the hell was happening? Did it have anything to do with Maya?

"Oh my god. This can't be true-NO!" I heard my dad freak out.

"I tried waking her up but she's not even breathing!" My mom started crying again. They could only be talking about Maya. I had to get in.

I pushed the door open. I saw my dad looking at the bed, completely shocked, and my mom crying into his chest. I didn't dare look at the bed. I couldn't. I already knew what had happened.

"No..." I choked out.

"Riley! I told you to stay downstairs!"

"NO!" I shrieked, finally looking at Maya. Her lifeless body resting on the bed.

"Riley. I'm-I'm so sorry. We had no idea." My dad teared up.

"NO! THIS CAN'T BE TRUE! IT CAN'T! THIS IS JUST SOME SICK JOKE ISN'T IT? MAYA WAKE UP THIS ISN'T FUNNY!" I cried out. But I didn't expect her to do anything. I knew the truth, I just couldn't except it.

"Honey, we'll leave you two alone...I'll go explain this to Auggie and call the ambulance." My mom and dad left the room with tears soaking up their faces.

I stared at Maya. Her face was lifeless, but it looked so peaceful. This was probably the most happy I've seen her. It all hit me and I felt the cold tears trickling down my face.

"I'm sorry Maya. This was all my fault. I'm glad you're happy now." I sobbed, kissing Maya's cheek. It was cold as ever.

I saw a few pieces of paper on the nightstand. Each one had a name written at the top. I went through half of them and didn't see one with my name. It wasn't until the end that I saw my name.

"I saved the best for last." She had written right under my name.

"Riley, if you're reading this, I just wanted to let you know I'm sorry. I forgive you about yesterday. I know you probably wouldn't have let me do this, but it was the only thing that popped into my head. This was to change things for the better. For everyone. Especially you. I'm no good for you, even though you may think I am. I know this was a dumb idea that you wouldn't have approved of. And if you think that this is your fault, it's not. Trust me. This one's all on me. And don't you dare ever do something this stupid. Live your life, you deserve it. I just ask one thing of you, don't forget me, ok? I love you with all my hart (see what I did there?), don't forget that either."

I began to break down.

Things were never the same again. Because she left, and she stole my hart with her.
--------------------------------------------
Author's note:

Final opinion on this book? On the ending?