Chapter 4 - Load of Rubbish

"Z? Are you coming," Sirius asked, poking his head through the doorway. Azalea sniffed and nodded, wiping her tears away angrily. She walked out of the bathroom, Sirius watching her expectantly. His arms were suddenly around her, Azalea falling into his warm embrace.

"It's okay," he muttered, "Why are you so upset? It was a month ago. You don't need to cry for that jerk anymore. He is in Azkaban. Like he should be."

"N-No," Azalea sniffed, "It's not that! It's dad! He-he-" She stopped mid-sentence, her tears falling again. She wiped them away again, using the back of her palm.

"Z? What happened? I don't need to go beat someone up, do I? Jason is already on the list. Who is next?"

"N-No. No one could have stopped what happened. The car just came at him so fast-he couldn't do anything about it-," she mumbled, wrapping her arms around him and burying her head in his chest.

"What car? What happened?" Azalea put her hand in her back pocket, trying to find the letter she had received.

"I can get it for you," Sirius said happily, sliding his hands down her back.

"Nice try," Azalea rolled her eyes, stopping his hands. Sirius frowned but watched as she pulled out a crumbled piece of parchment, ink and tears dotted on it. She handed him the parchment, sniffling as she did.

"Read it."

"Are you sure? It isn't too personal or anything?"

"Since when has anything been too personal between us?" Sirius smiled slightly.

"I guess you are right,"he chuckled. He carefully unfolded the paper, smoothing out the many wrinkles the best he could.

"Dear Azalea Roseletta Evans," he read out loud, "We are sorry to inform you of the passing of your father. Your mother is safe at home, no need to worry much about her. Your father was on his way home from work, from what we understand, when a drunk driver ran into him. The impact was fatal, according to doctors who have said he died on impact. Your mother has requested to see your sister Lily and says it would be fine if you stay at Hogwarts. Once again, we are so sorry for your loss. The minister."

"I bet he didn't even write it," Azalea murmured bitterly, "I bet he just got someone to put his name on it!"

"Oh, Z," Sirius muttered, hugging her tighter to his body, "When did you get this?"

"She doesn't even want me," Azalea whispered, ignoring his question, "She just wants Lily! Always Lily. The fucking good girl!"

"Z, Lily can't help that everyone loves her. You know that. When did you get this?"

"Yesterday. They took Lily away before I could talk to her. They were afraid I would fight her."

"Well, your reputation is against you..."

"Well, I can't help that," she snapped, "That woman said I have a disease! Is it my fault that I have it?"

"And you believe her, "Sirius asked, amazed, "You know what? Forget it for now. We shouldn't be discussing this when you are so sad." He let the letter slowly fall out of his hand. The letter floated down gently, landing on the carpet with the back faced upward. Sirius glanced down at it and grew confused.

"Z...what is that?"

"Nothing," Azalea said quickly, placing her foot on top of the parchment.

"It was burned and it had a piece of red stuck on it. Did you get that message as a howler?"

"No," Azalea whispered, "Not that specific message."