Chapter 7 - Poisoned

It was now March and the snow had left, the cold being replaced with the warm. The sun shone brightly on the students as they passed windows or as they walked through the courtyards. The warm air was bearable enough, not exactly hot but not exactly cold, either. The few days the weather dropped down to the cold again were boring for most, the only exciting thing being the fire going out.

Azalea had mostly stuck to her dorm room, locking herself in bathrooms and inside of her dorm room. No one knew why she was determined to be alone. Not even Sirius could get her to spit it out. Sirius was the only one Azalea didn't ignore when someone tried to talk to her, reassuring him that he hadn't harmed her again.

Sirius had tried so hard for the first week to get her to explain. Tried so hard to make her happy, to make her forget all of the bad things that were making her loose herself day by day. But all she wanted was to be alone, to be left with her own thoughts. He couldn't handle it. Couldn't handle the way she was so stubborn about the whole thing. Couldn't handle not having her. 

"I don't know what to do," he heard her repeat over and over. Day after day. What did she need to know how to do? Why did she need to know how to do it? He couldn't get anything out of her and often repeated the phrase 'You stubborn little girl' to which Azalea always replied with 'I'm not a little girl. Not anymore.'

"Go talk to her," Sirius demanded, "You haven't even tried to help her yet! That's probably why she is so depressed!" Lily didn't answer Sirius and continued to stare at the fire, a mix of emotions boiling inside of her.

"You are her sister and you need to help her! What happened to the good girl? Tell me that? So what if your mum hates her? That doesn't mean you have to as well!"

"It doesn't," Lily agreed through gritted teeth, "But I am not talking to her. She will figure this out on her own."

"Your sister, blood bound sister, is falling into a deep and bottomless pit, and you aren't going to help her? What kind of sister are you?"

"You are making me feel guilty," she whispered quietly.

"Good," he snapped, "You should feel guilty!" 

"What am I supposed to do," she asked, "I bet I am one of the reasons she is that way!"

"That's exactly why you should talk to her! Tell her you are sorry!"

"I can feel it too, you know," she whispered, "Can feel how sad she is. It's a twin thing, I suppose. Or maybe it's a love thing. I can't really tell." 

"That's why you need to talk to her. Maybe convince her to go to Hogsmeade today. Get her out. I have already tried."

"It might not work."

"If it doesn't then call me. I will try again." Lily nodded and left, climbing the stairs slowly. What would she tell Azalea? How could she possible convince the girl who hides to reveal herself? 

"Azalea," Lily whispered from the doorway, "I want to talk to you." Azalea ignored Lily, nothing new to her. Azalea was resting on the window sill, her legs bent and her head resting on her knees. She was watching the students running around, running a finger over the window. 

"I am so so so sorry," she whispered, "I wanted to impress her so bad-and I just-I couldn't really-" Lily stopped. She had just admitted her worst fear in a way. Azalea knew now.

"I was so scared that if I didn't agree with her, she wouldn't like me-that if I rebelled like you, I would never be forgiven. But I applaud you, sister. I wish I could do what you did. I am not as brave as you. I depend more on others."  Azalea turned her head and looked at Lily, her eyes wide.