CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

The Flea and The Acrobat

Part Two

November 11th, 1983

November 11th, 1983

The Byers Household

Jonathan tapped his fingers on his steering wheel anxiously as he pulled up to his house, noticing another car in the driveway, "What the hell?" He mumbled before rushing inside, causing the two figures on the couch to flinch. What's Lonnie doing here? He thought angrily as he closed the door.

"Hey kid." Lonnie greeted as Joyce looked down for a moment before mumbling, "Hi." Jonathan looked between the two with suspicious eyes, "What's going on?" Joyce and Lonnie moved away from each other, "Your Dad's, uh, gonna stay here tonight." She stammered, "On the couch." She quickly added.

"Yeah, I'm here as long as you need me, okay?" Lonnie said in a comforting tone, clasping his hands in front of his as he leaned his elbows onto his knees, "How you holdin' up?" He asked as Jonathan's eyes trailed over to the tarp covering the hole in the wall. Striding over to it, he lifted the blue sheet and felt worry course through his veins, "What happened?" He directed at his Mom.

"Don't worry about that."

"Mom...." Jonathan trailed off, cutting of his Father's protests, "That thing you saw before, did it come back?" Joyce looked around anxiously causing Lonnie to give him a stern look, "Jonathan, that's enough." Jonathan sighed and gave Lonnie a glare, "Can we talk? Alone."

°°°°°°°°°°°°

"You need to leave." Jonathan said sternly as he shut the door to his bedroom. Lonnie sighed, knowing that this was coming, "Look, I know you're upset. We all are. But you need to listen to me. Your Mother is sick. Really sick." He cautioned causing Jonathan to scoff and roll his eyes, "Yeah. Well, you being here, you're just making things worse. Like always." This time it was Lonnie's turn to scoff, "Worse?"

"Yeah!"

"She took down that wall with an ax. She said that Will and that babysitter were inside the wall and that they were talking to her." He ranted causing Jonathan to clench his fists at the fact that he didn't even bother to remember (Y/N)'s name, "Yeah," Jonathan nodded, "Maybe they were." Lonnie sighed through his nose, "This isn't some kind of joke. Your Mom was half frozen to death when I got here. Trembling, scared out of her mind."

"You come in here and start feeding into her hallucinations, or whatever the hell you wanna call it, you're gonna push her right over the edge." Lonnie accused, pointing a finger in his face, "You hear me?" He asked quietly, staring into Jonathan's glaring eyes, sighing when he didn't get a reaction or response, "Look, I'm on your side. I'm here to help. I'm gonna make things better around here for all of us."