CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: THE BODY

The Body

Part One

November 9th, 1983

November 9th, 1983

The Byers Household

Hopper and a handful of officers strolled around Joyce's pitch black house, gawking at the amount of Christmas lights that were strewn across the walls and the ceiling. Hopper slowly walked into the living room where Powell was as they both aimed their flashlights at the wall to their right, "This the wall she was talking about, Chief?" Hopper nodded slowly, taking a few steps forward to get a better look.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

"A Trooper found something in the, uh, water that's at the Quarry." Hopper explained softly, noticing Joyce's wide eyed stare that was directed at the wall to his right, "Our working theory right now is that (Y/N) and Will crashed her car, they....made their way over to the Quarry and, uh, they accidentally fell in. The Earth must have given away." He said sofly.

"Joyce," He said trying to break her out of her thoughts, "Joyce, do you understand what I'm saying?" Joyce shook her head and looked down, "No." Looking up at Hopper, Joyce continued, "Whoever you found out there, it's not them. It's not my boy, it's not (Y/N)." Hopper furrowed his brows, "Joyce..."

"No, y-you don't understand." She stammered, shaking her head at the thought that Will and (Y/N) were gone, "I talked to them, a half hour ago." She said, before walking over to the cubby where she had talked with (Y/N) and Will, opening the doors, "They were, they were here!" Reaching into the cubby, Joyce grabbed the lights she had used, holding them up in her shakey hands, "They were talking, with these!"

"Talking?" Hopper said in a concerned tone, as Jonathan looked down sadly, his Mother seemed to be already losing it. Joyce nodded, "Uh-huh, one blink for yes, two for no!" She said, getting choked up. Putting the lights down, Joyce directed his gaze towards the wall where she had painted the alphabet, "And, uh, I-I made this, so they could talk to me, cause....cause they were hiding." She whimpered, pointing at the wall, "From that, that thing!"

"From that thing that came out of the wall." Hopper said, trying to subtly tell her that nothing like that could ever happen, "The thing that chased you." Joyce nodded as Jonathan rushed over, "Yeah..." Jonathan shook his head, "Mom, come on, please. You've gotta stop this." He said as she grabbed onto his arms. Joyce shook her head, "No, maybe they're...It's after them!" She exclaimed in worry.

"They're in danger! We have to find them, we have to - !" She ranted, letting go of Jonathan to grab Hopper's arms, getting cut off by Hopper as he ran a hand over his beard, "What exactly was this thing?" He asked curiously, "It was some kind of animal you said?" Joyce ran a hand through her hair, "Uh, no, it was a - It was almost...human, but it wasn't. It....It had these long arms and....it didn't have a face."