CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: THE UPSIDE DOWN

The Upside Down

Part One

November 12th, 1983

November 12th, 1983

Hawkins National Laboratory

"Let me out of here!" Joyce yelled in anger, shaking her cuffed hands around as she tried to break herself free from her restraints. Looking around the interrogation room that she was trapped in, Joyce clenched her jaw and shook her head, "Somebody, please!" She yelled, her throat burning as she twisted and turned her wrists, trying to shimmy her way out of the tightly bound hand cuffs, "Let me out!"

Suddenly, breaking her out of her panic induced struggling, the door on the other side of the small room unlocked, causing Joyce to gasp, her head snapping up to look over at the person who stepped in. It was Dr. Brenner. Brenner shoved his hands in his pocket and sauntered around the room, clenching his jaw tightly before forcing himself to put on a calm facade, "Your son and Ms. Henderson." He spoke up as Joyce glared at him, "We know you've been in contact with them."

Joyce swallowed the lump in her throat, her hands shaking, "Y-You have to let me...." She stammered, trailing off as he walked towards her, tilting his head, "When?" He interrogated, "And how did you make contact with them?" Joyce shook her head, fearful tears springing up in her eyes, "What?" Brenner raised a brow at her, "Hmm?" Joyce stayed silent, clenching her jaw as she forced herself to calm down.

"Seven." Brenner stated, walking around the table as he took his suit coat off, draping it over the head rest of the metal chair, "Seven people have been taken this week." He told her, leaning forward as he pressed his hands against the cloth covered head rest, "This....thing, that took them? We don't really understand it." He said softly as Joyce looked down at the table in shock before her eyes flickered back up to his wrinkled face.

"But, it's behavior is predictable." He commented, pulling back the metal chair to sit down in front of her, "Like all animals....it eats." Brenner said, clasping his hands together on top of the metal table, "It will take more sons. More daughters. More sisters." Joyce narrowed her eyes at him, quickly catching his bluff as he continued to talk to her in a sickly sweet tone, "I want to save them." He informed her, "I want to save your son and Ms. Henderson."

Joyce clenched her jaw and shook her head, rolling her eyes as Brenner continued, "But I can't do that. Not without your help." Joyce glared at him and leaned forward, "Stop." She spat, "I know who you are." She growled in a low whisper, watching as Brenner tensed up slightly, "I know what you've done. You took my boy away from me! You took
(Y/N) away from her family!"

"You left them in that place to die!" She yelled, glaring at him heatedly, "You faked their deaths! We had a funeral. We buried them!" Joyce yelled as Brenner clenched his jaw, his mind racing as he wondered just how much she knew, "And now you're asking for my help?!" She asked in an appalled tone before she shook her head, glaring at him, "Go to Hell." She growled.