CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: THE MONSTER

The Monster

Part Three

November 12th, 1983

November 12th, 1983

The Forest (Near The Lab)

Lucas sighed to himself, looking down at his compass as it's needle suddenly shot to the left, pointing off of the path that he was on, "What the hell?" He thought out loud as he dragged his bike off of the path, rolling it through the piles of leaves in his way.

Trudging his bike up a tiny but steep hill, his eyes widened. There was a tall fence, lined with barbed wire and no trespassing signs. Tall and thick trees surrounded whatever was on the inside of the boarder, blocking it from Lucas's sight.

Looking down at his compass, Lucas's eyes filled with worry as the needle flicked back and forth until settling down, pointing at the fence. Looking back up, Lucas glanced to his right and left, seeing the long stretch of fencing going as fast as his eyes could reach. He couldn't even see the end of it, "Aw, man..." He mumbled in a tired tone as he started his long trek, determined to find (Y/N) and Will.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Ives Household

Hopper and Joyce gave Terry one last fleeting look as Becky led them out after telling them all that she knew. Hopper turned to Becky as he put his hat back on, "Well, thank you for your time. We appreciate it."

Joyce lingered in the doorway of the living room for a moment as Becky replied, "Umm, yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help." Joyce gave Terry one last look before walking away as Becky gave her a nod, "Good luck."

"Thank you."

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Joyce slammed her door shut harshly as she sighed shakily, running her hands through her hair as Hopper gave her a soft look, "Hey..." He called out as her eyes became glossy. Joyce looked up at him, "What?" She whispered, trying to keep her composure. Hopper looked down for a moment before looking her dead in the eyes with the most determined eyes she had ever seen, "We're gonna find them. Both of them."

"Yeah, like Terry found her daughter?" She replied in a doubtful tone. Hopper clenched his jaw and looked down, "We're close." Joyce sucked in a shuddering breath and looked over at him, shaking her head, "Twelve years? Twelve years she's been
looking for her - "

"And then she shows up at Benny's five nights ago, which means that we've got a chance." Hopper said, quickly cutting her off as he gave her a serious look, "You know what I would give? For a chance?" He asked her as his mind tortured him with memories of his late daughter, Sarah. Joyce gave him a sympathetic look as Hopper's radio went off, breaking the tense silence, "Hey, Chief, you there?" It was Callahan.