CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO: THE BATHTUB

The Bathtub

Part Four

November 12th, 1983

November 12th, 1983

The Byers Household

"Come on, come on...." Dustin mumbled, biting his lip nervously as he waited for Mr. Clarke to pick up. Finally, after what seemed like forever, Mr. Clarke picked up the phone, "Hello?" He called out, causing Dustin to release a silent sigh of relief, feeling everybody staring at him as they waited for him to get off the phone, "Mr. Clarke? It's Dustin."

On the other side of the phone, the science teacher furrowed his brows, "Dustin? Is everything okay?" Dustin nodded furiously, stumbling over his words, "Yeah, yeah, I just, I..." Dustin trailed off, trying to find a good way to word his question, "I have a science question."

"It's ten o'clock on a Saturday. Why don't we pick this up on - !" Mr. Clarke started to say with a chuckle, as he thought about how his date was waiting for him on his couch. Dustin quickly cut him off, "Do you know anything about sensory deprivation tanks?" He asked quickly, "Specifically how to build one?"

"Sensory deprivation?" He echoed back to him before stuttering out a reply, "W-What is this for?" He asked with confusion. Dustin's mind blanked for so long he thought he could hear static coming from his brain before he blurted out a reply, "Fun." He said, immediately wincing as he heard a quiet sigh come from behind him.

Luckily, Mr. Clarke seemed to buy his shitty reason, "Okay, well...." Mr. Clarke trailed off, racking his mind, "Why don't we talk about it, Monday? After school, okay?" He proposed with a smile. Dustin rolled his eyes, "You always say we should never stop being curious. To always open any curiousity door we find." Dustin exclaimed, using Mr. Clarke's words against him, "Why are you keeping this curiousity door locked?"

The line was silent for a moment as Mr. Clarke looked over at his date who was watching the movie that he had rented for them, before letting out a sigh, looking up at the ceiling. He's right Clarke, He thought before starting to list off what Dustin needed to make one.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

"Uh-huh.." Dustin said into the phone, now sitting down at the table, writing down what Mr. Clarke was telling him on a small notepad that Joyce had found for him, "Uh-huh....how much?" He asked before nodding slowly as Mr. Clarke repeated himself, "Yep, alright. Yeah, we'll be careful. Definitely. Alright, Mr. Clarke. Yeah, I'll see you on Monday!"

"I'll see you on Monday, Mr. Clarke!" Dustin spoke into the phone quickly, pulling the phone away from his face before hanging up, "Bye." He said, looking around at everyone who sat and stood around him, waiting for his verdict, "Do you still have that kiddie pool that we bobbed for apples in?" He asked Joyce.