CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX: THE UPSIDE DOWN

The Upside Down

Part Three

November 12th, 1983

November 12th, 1983

Hawkins, Indiana

Hawkins Middle School

"Found it! I knew she was hoarding it!" Dustin exclaimed as he pulled open the fridge in the back of the cafeteria's kitchen, "I knew it!" He exclaimed happily, stacking pudding cup after pudding cup in his arms as Lucas nodded, a large grin stretched across his face, "Always lying, saying she's out. Bald-faced liar." He said as Lucas grabbed some as well.

"Mike! I found the chocolate pudding!" He screamed to Mike and Eleven who were sitting out in the cafeteria boredly. Mike rolled his eyes and yelled back at him, "Okay!"  He said before turning to face Eleven, giving her a worried look, "Are you feeling any better?" He asked. Eleven shrugged in response, causing Mike to let out a small sigh, looking down at the floor.

"What's "putting"?" She asked him slowly, breaking the silence. Mike chuckled and corrected her softly, ""Pudding" it's this chocolate goo that you eat with a spoon." He told her, causing Eleven's face to scrunch up in disgust at his awful description, "Don't worry, when all this is over, you won't have to keep eating junk food and leftovers like a dog anymore." He reassured her.

"My mom, she's a pretty awesome cook." He claimed, "She can make you whatever you like." Eleven's face lit up a small smile stretching across her lips, "Eggos?" She asked in a hopeful tone, her eyes wide. Mike nodded and shrugged, "Well, yeah, Eggos, but real food, too." He told her, before sighing again, his stomach twisting and turning in nervousness, "See, I was thinking, once all this is over and Will and (Y/N) are back and you're not a secret anymore, my parents can get you an actual bed for the basement."

"Or you can take my room if you want, since I'm down there all the time anyways." Mike ranted with a shrug, giving her a small smile, "My point is, they'll take care of you. They'll be like your new parents, and Nancy, she'll be like your new sister." He said with a smile. Eleven tilted her head to the side in confusion, "Will you be like my new brother?" She asked, not exactly getting what he was hinting towards her.

Mike's face paled as at her question, quickly shaking his head, "What? No, no." He said, letting out a quiet scoff. Eleven narrowed her eyes at him in confusion, "Why "no"?" She mumbled as Mike started to backtrack his comment, "Because...." Mike let out a sigh, looking away for a moment as a small blush bloomed on his face, "Because it's different."

"Why?"

"I mean, I don't know, I guess it's not." He said with a sigh, shaking his head slowly, "It's stupid." He mumbled shyly, avoiding her piercing gaze. Eleven stared at him with wide, concerned eyes, "Mike?" She called out, causing his gaze to flicker over to her, "Yeah?" He said, raising a brow at her. Eleven smiled at him, "Friends don't lie." She told him, causing him to sigh yet again.