CHAPTER TWENTY: THE BODY

The Body

Part Three

November 10th, 1983

November 10th, 1983

Hawkins Middle School

"Will Byers and (Y/N) Henderson's deaths are unimaginable tragedies." The Principal spoke, "Will was an exceptional student and a wonderful friend to all of us. (Y/N), a former student at Hawkins Middle, surpassed all of our expectations in class, graduating with top grades and leaving the legacy of the A.V. Club in her wake."

"It's impossible to express the hole their loss will leave in our community." The Principal said, before motioning a hand towards one of the guest speakers that had come to the assembly, "I'd like to introduce you to Sandy Sloane. She's a local grief counselor from the church over in Jonesboro. But before she comes up here," Mike looked around the crowd, feeling irritated at everyone's bored expressions, "Look at these fakers."

"They probably didn't know their names until today." Lucas said, shaking his head in disbelief as he heard Troy and James laughing, "Who is interested in this? This is so stupid. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." He taunted as Lucas and Mike stared at him in shock, glad that Dustin couldn't hear them from where he was sitting, "Oh, he was such a great student and she left behind a legacy. Oh, they're gonna leave holes in the community." He said, mockingly crying as Eleven leaned forward to glare at them, "Mouth breathers."

Mike looked over at Eleven and nodded slowly, his anger growing as he saw the saddened look on Dustin's face, I guess he could hear them, He thought, reaching over to pat Dustin on the back as they all waited for the assembly to end. They had gone too far this time.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Everyone stood up quickly, jogging down the bleachers as the bell rang loudly, dismissing them from the assembly. As the Party weaved their way through the crowd, Mike's eyes caught onto James and Troy, "Hey! Hey! Hey Troy!" Mike called out, catching the attention of Troy and James, "You.....You think this is funny?" He exclaimed, nearly chickening out but he kept going, (Y/N) isn't here to protect Dustin so I have to, He thought as he glared at Troy.

"What'd you say, Wheeler?" Troy seethed. Mike looked back, making sure that everyone was with him on this, "I saw you guys laughing over there. And I think that's a real messed up thing to do." Troy scoffed and rolled his eyes as James replied, "Didn't you listen to the counselor, Wheeler? Grief shows itself in funny ways."

Lucas clenched his jaw as Troy butted in, "Besides, what's there to be sad about, anyway? Will's in fairyland now, right? Flying around with all the little fairies. All happy and gay! And (Y/N), she's finally escaped from that freak show of a brother." Mike clenched his jaw as a memory of (Y/N) popped into his head.