CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: THE MONSTER

The Monster

Part One

November 11th, 1983

November 11th, 1983

The Byers Household

"Look, we gotta look through this again." Joyce said in an exasperated tone as she shook her head, trying to wrap her mind around what Hopper was telling her. Hopper sighed and took a drag from his cigarette, "I told you everything that I saw." He told her softly. Joyce motioned to the papers that were strewn across her kitchen table, "Tell me again."

"Upstairs or downstairs?"

"Upstairs." Joyce told him, her knee bouncing as she took a drag from her cigarette. Hopper looked down at the papers, "There was a laboratory." He reminded her, "It was where they must do experiments or something, and then there was...there was this kid's room." He explained, inhaling deeply. Joyce's hands shook as she questioned him, "How do you know it was a kid's room?"

"More like a prison."

"So, why would you think that it was a kid's room, then?" Joyce asked in confusion as she raised a brow at the exhausted man sitting in front of her. Hopper had to resist rolling his eyes, "Because, I told you, the size of the bed, there was a drawing, there was a stuffed animal - !" Joyce gasped, quickly cutting him off, "You didn't say there was a drawing." She pointed out quickly.

"Yeah, there was a drawing of a...an adult and a child. It said "Eleven" on it." Hopper spoke up, rubbing his hand on his forehead as he felt a migraine coming on. Joyce's eyes widened as she thought back to her art loving son, "Was it good?" She asked sternly. Hopper furrowed this brows, wondering where the hell she was going with this, "It was a kids drawing, Joyce. It was stick figures." He pressed. Standing up, Joyce strided over to her kitchen counter, picking up one of Will's drawings, slapping it down on the table in front of Hopper, "Wasn't Will."

"Well, what about that one?" Hopper asked, tilting his head as his eyes flickered over to the poorly drawn picture on Joyce's fridge. Joyce followed his gaze and smiled in amusement, calming down for a moment, "That's
(Y/N)'s drawing but with the way you described the bed and the room, I don't think (Y/N) was there, and there would be no way in hell that (Y/N) would let these people get them."

Hopper's eyes wandered down to Will's drawing for a moment as something clicked in his mind, Son of a bitch, He thought, standing up quickly before striding over to where all of his research was, "Earl..." He mumbled, motioning for Joyce to follow him, "The night that Benny died, Earl said he saw some kid with a shaved head with Benny."

"Now, I pressed him, he said it might be Will, but maybe...." Hopper trailed off as he and Joyce sat down on the couch, looking over the numerous amounts of research papers. Joyce looked at him with wide eyes, "Wait.....Maybe, it wasn't?"