CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: HOLLY JOLLY

Holly Jolly

Part Four

November 9th, 1983

November 9th, 1983

The Byers Household

Joyce stared off onto the distance, taking a drag from her cigarette as Chester whined from his place on the living room chair. Chester barked seeing the lights on the ceiling turn on one by one, catching the attention of Joyce. Her head slowly turned to look at Chester before her eyes flickered up to the lights, her eyes widened as she stumbled towards the lights. They led her to the small cubby space behind the small shelf that was place in front of it.

Pushing the shelf away, Joyce grunted and opened the double doors of the cubby, looking inside only to find that it was empty. Joyce sighed, standing back up to grab a set of lights, that she didn't have room for on the ceiling or walls, out of its box. Bunching the lights up into a ball she raced over to the cubby and slid inside, pulling her knees up to her chest, holding the lights close to her face.

"(Y/N), Will? Are you here?" She said with a sniffle, her hands shaking in anticipation as she waited for an answer. The ball of lights out up in her hands causing her to let out a shakey gasp, Joyce smiled widely, "Okay, good, good, good, good. Are you...?" Joyce gripped the lights tightly, "Um, blink once for yes, twice for no, (Y/N)." She instructed, "Can you do that for me, Sweetheart? Can you do that - !" She said getting cut off as the lights blinked once.

"Oh, good girl, good girl. Sweetheart, I need to know..." She said trying not to cry as she hugged the lights to her chest, "Are you alive? Is Will with you?" The lights blinked once causing Joyce to let out a sob, "Are you guys safe?" She asked in a small voice, her heart dropping at the lights blinked twice, "I need to know where to find you guys. Where...? Where are you? Can you, can you tell me where you are Sweetheart?"

"Please, (Y/N), Will. I need to find you. Tell me what to do." She whimpered, tears rushing down her face, "Please, just..." She cried, the lights not giving her a single answer, "Will, (Y/N), please..." Joyce rocked back and forth for a moment, contemplating what to do until an idea popped into her head. Standing up, Joyce rushed out of the house, into her shed, grabbing a can of black paint and a small paint brush before running back inside.

Slamming the door shut behind her, Joyce ran over to her living room wall and opened the black paint, painting the alphabet on the wall, making sure that there was light for each letter.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Hɐʍʞᴉus' Iupᴉɐuɐ

(Y/N)'s back ached as she sat in an uncomfortable position, trying not to hit her head on the top of the little cubby that Will had chosen as their hiding spot, "This is ridiculous." (Y/N) complained quietly, "I feel like I'm in a clown car." She joked causing Will to giggle into his hand, "You look like you're in one too." (Y/N) snorted and closed her eyes for a moment, attempting to use her shoulder as a pillow, opening her eyes when Will called out her name, "(Y/N)?"