chapter six

The next few days followed out to be awfully tiring for Max. Stiles had met up with her and Scott and had explained everything that had happened since freshmen year; How the argents had tried to kill Scott and Derek, the history of the Hales, how Allison really died, and that brings us to current events. They were all on a hit list and somehow Kate Argent was alive and searching for revenge. 

Lydia had managed to reveal the third part of the hit list which naturally, Max was on. She was tempted to ask how much she was worth but never had a chance to bring it up.

It left Max flustered for a few days but nevertheless, Scott proceeded to update her and check up on her. At the current moment, Max was terrified for something much worse than homicides.

PSATS.

Her anxiety was peaking, especially this morning as she stressed out for the exams. She had spent a good amount of time studying for them, when she wasn't searching around for ancient alphas and possible murderers.

At the current time, Max leaned against the lockers, listening to Kira nervously chatter away. Her mind felt elsewhere and the pit of her stomach churned. She couldn't shake off the feeling that something was, that none of should have shown up today. Something bad was going to happen.

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asked, snapping Max out of her strange trance as Stiles, Scott and Malia approached them.

"She took it her freshmen year" Stiles replied.

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time? Malia exasperated.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us" 

"Doesn't mean I'm going to do good,"

"Well" Stiles corrected her.

"Well, what?"

"It's do well, not good" He explained, making Malia roll her eyes.

"Oh god!"

Max quietly chuckled at the conversation, she tried to focus on the test today but for some reason, she couldn't shake off the strange feeling.

"Hey, you okay?" Scott asked, cautiously.

"Nerves," Max mumbled absentmindedly, as she watched the proctor opened the classroom door. Scott didn't need to listen to her heartbeat to know she was lying, but as far as their conversations had gone. He knew not to bring it up in front of the group.

-

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so. This test is two hours and ten minutes. There will be two twenty-five-minute critical reading sections, two twenty-five-minute math sections, and an essay writing portion that will last thirty minutes." The proctor explained, shooting a look at Stiles, who immediately moved his hands away from his booklet.

Max bobbed her leg up and down anxiously, chewing her fingernails raw. It was a bad habit she was trying to quit, but her anxiety tended to get to her. She glanced up as Ms. Martin walked into the room, talking to the proctor for a moment before leaving again. 

Stiles' eyes trailed ms. Martin before he squirmed in his seat to face Max who sat diagonally behind him. He waited until she noticed him before giving a lopsided grin.

"Hey, just wanted to say good luck. so uh good luck," 

" You have to know at least know most of the basic coverage in order to pass, luck isn't going to help unless you're planning on winging it," Max deadpanned. Malia who had been overhearing, groaned and buried her head into her arms.