CHAPTER 20

Commotion rose from one corner of the rough wall, bouncing on the edge and spreading through every side as Jide and his father stepped into the throne room. It was hard to move a muscle, not with the men, squabbling like little ducks quarreling over a little fish. Standing there did not add any light to Maduka’s ignorance. Too many people were talking at the same time. Too much verbiage. 

Snorting he pointed to the space on the right, some strides from the throne. Jide lowered the seat and settled it so that it could balance on the lumpy floor.

The throne was empty, no wonder the noise from the elders. Even the palace guards were absent. It was not strange but Maduka could feel the emptiness slacking with laxity. This has never happened before, not in a long while. The last time the king had been late to court, was the day his only son and heir to the throne, had fallen sick and had died the day after. Yes, it was not strange for the King to be late, but not to this extent.

“Are you alright, Papa?” 

Maduka looked down at the angelic eyes of his son, and the concern in them mellowed the irritation that was building in his heart. He couldn’t help the smile that smeared his face as he nodded to assure the young lad. The boy was more beautiful than handsome and Maduka could guess the amount of money he could have made if Jide was a girl. Rich men all around the village would have been begging to have his hand in marriage. That’s where the money is.

Setting down his bag, he rested his weight on the seat and spread the antelope skin so that Jide could sit on them. Jide was an accident but a blessing in disguise. From the first day Maduka got married to his betrothed, they had prayed earnestly to the gods for children. Not just any children but for warriors too. Children that would take his place in the circle of life and free their people from the hands of the freeborn. But in the end, what had the gods done? They had blessed him with a single child. A child that had the looks of a girl but was a boy. A child whom the Diviners had predicted would die before the age of five. Jide was seven now and healthy. His life has defiled the predictions of the diviners, for the first time in the history of the people. Everything about Jide was a testimony, and while Maduka might not like his girlish appearance, he was glad to have a son. A son that would inherit his properties when he dies.

“What are you thinking about, Papa? Don’t tell me you are worried sick again.”

“No,” Maduka laughed, “I am just trying to reflect on some things,” 

Maduka waited for Jide to ask another question, but the boy only nodded and returned his gaze to the men that were still arguing. It was odd but Maduka was glad that Jide was imbibing his instructions. Soon he would become a man and if he doesn’t learn the art of listening, how can he take the place of his father in the council of elders?

“I thought this was meant to be a genteel proceeding,” Jide asked, still not breaking his gaze from the elders.

“It still is, and will forever be.”

“But,” Jide turned his attention to his father.

Maduka rolled his eyes in return as he braced himself for what’s coming. Jide was a talking bird. Maybe it’s because of his girlish appearance, or maybe Obidiya had consumed a patriot at the time of his conception. 

“This does not testify to your claims. With this upheaval, I can bet the life of my father, that even our so-called elders have the propensity for brawling.”

“I am your father, Jide," Maduka laughs "And my life will not be placed on any of your silly bets.”

“That’s the spirit, Papa. I was looking for something to wipe that gloom from your face. You fell for it." Jide grinned, "you owe me a fresh rabbit.”