CHAPTER 37

The drums continued to frazzle the night. It was the third beat of the normal traditional cycle. Well, maybe not the third, but his eyes dazed through the curtains of darkness when the music suddenly stopped. Sitting up from the floor, he strained his weak ears. Waiting, and listening. 

Could this be the redemption he had hoped for? Ah, of course not. There was no redemption. His father was dead. No siblings, no uncle. It was foolish to think anyone would come to his rescue.

His stomach knotted as he lazed back on the pole. Not that the music had returned, but the footfalls of silence was the only proof he needed. He was not going home anytime soon. They would not let him return, not while he remains the son of their enemy. Not while he was the child of the best warrior in the land.

Do all you can for the king, but never trust him with your life. 

Jide closed his eyes to the voice of his father. If only he had heeded to the advice of the old man. Perhaps he would be in the village square, making fireballs and playing the 'mountain rock n' roll' with the other kids. But here he was, eating dust, all because he had followed the lust of his craving appetite.

Stupid me.

He whistled and picked a pebble, letting them into the cloak of darkness. Despite the emptiness, the thought of playing on the moon stayed with him. It was only two days ago, yet it felt like forever. It had been so free. So freaking free. Until he got full of himself. 

Jide closed his eyes again, wishing that the whiff and darkness would somehow metamorph to the familiar air in his father's compound. This was a big mistake. The king had used him. Like always, these people have used him as a means to an end. They had played the master and like an errand dog, they've sent him to retrieve the bone of the wind. 

I should have said no. I should have seen the radar pointing to mischief and selfishness. I should have followed my father's advice instead of the compelling whims of my insatiable appetite.

He clenched his fist and the pains that stemmed from the pebbles burying into his skin gave him comfort. It was one thing to be a kid. It was another to be a foolish one. Everything was lost. He had caused the death of his father and had brought hell on their household. Now the king and the villagers are going to take his father's house. All because of his foolishness.

Jide bit his lips, but this time, he threw the crushed pebbles into the far side of the night. It felt good, yes, throwing the piece of rock seemed to soothe the heat in his stomach. If only he had something or someone to blame for his current situation, that would have made the burden easier to bear.

"I hate this life,"

Jide sobbed and planted his head into his knees. The fact that the face of his father clouded his memory, seemed to aggravate the misery. He could still see the looks in his father's face when the king had pulled out the spear. Pain should have flooded the older man's eyes, but instead, he had smiled back at the king, almost in triumph. 

But why?

Jide gulped. The more the thoughts dwelled with him, the more confused he became. Why would his father betray the village? Why should any of this happen? Could it be part of the many things his father was hiding? What about his mother? Was she also involved in the puzzle scheme? Was this also part of being an adult? Keeping secrets and betraying people's trust?

He let out a loud sigh and decided to lie on the floor. That was when he heard the noise.

Startled rather than afraid, he turned his attention towards the direction. There, in the vast body of darkness, was a little spark of light that was no bigger than the navel of a child. It was accompanied by a disturbing noise, but the music that returned immediately seemed to gulp it. 

Despite the uneasiness, Jide held the wooden pole and continued to study the light. That was his only option. Watch and do nothing. Even if he wanted to, he couldn't run away, not with his hands and feet tied behind on the post.

"Are you okay?" Came the whisper.

Jide did not reply. His eyes were just fixed on the small light, and until the first slap landed on his cheeks, did he realize that the owner of the voice was standing right in front of him.

"By the heavens" 

"That's for making me look like a fool,"

"But you are a fool," 

Jide tried to rub his face, but the rope that held his hands restricted him. He frowned instead, hoping the burning sensation would not make his face swell.

"If that's the case," the girl said and turned back to the other side, "coming here was a mistake. I should let my father hang you on the crimson pole."

"Please, don't go."

"Wait, did you just use the 'P-word?" 

The amusement in the girl's tone caused Jide's cheeks to burn even more. The firefly in her hands made it difficult to see her face, but Jide could read the arrogance in her posture. It was hard to tell which of the two made him furious, her pomposity or her foolishness.

"Yes, please. I am glad you came here to free me."

"Free you?"

Ada laughed and returned her attention to Jide. 

"Is that what you think I came here for? To free you?"

Jide gnashed his teeth, feeling the adrenaline as it coursed through his veins, heating every part of his body. Even though Adaku was a bit older than he was, he wouldn't mind wrestling her to the floor and beating the living day out of her until he had avenged the death of his father. And that's what he would do. He would avenge his father. He would kill all of them, starting from this overgrown baby elephant that parades herself as the princess. 

"Why are you here? Bored already from the party?"

"Party? With all those commoners lurking around in the stench of poverty? Chukwu aju (god forbid). I would rather cuddle up in a pit than spend a moment with those sweating morons."

"Still, you are here."

Jide breathed out heavily and rested his head on the pole. For some passing moment, he had thought his redemption was nigh. Too bad the bored princess was just looking for someone to ruffle. 

"I actually came to see the dung that got everyone in the village talking."

"Hope you are not too disappointed," Jide said, more of a statement than a question.

"Of course not, you still irritate me. And you smell horrible for my liking too."

Jide rolled his eyes. Ignoring the princess was just too difficult. She was a parrot, and a good one.

"There are no guards here," Ada said as she walked towards the door, "hurry up and meet me by the west side of the palace. If you want to live I mean. But you can remain here and be a dog if you want to."

"Meet you?" Jide laughed and lifted his head from the pole. "Should I turn to a bird and..."

Jide paused. He could move his hands freely now, and his legs too. Could it be that the princess has...?

"Adaku" Jide hurried to his feet and followed the dim light that was fading into the night.