CHAPTER 29

“So, how did it go?” The tension that draped on King Nnaji’s features receded when his brown eyes failed to pick any tension on the face of the forest or the leaves. The muscular features of Kalu followed behind, holding that swagger that portrayed strength and authority. And royalty too. No palace guards were hanging on their shoulders. The two men were alone, like always, and the curiosity that streaked the edges of their aging brows sent a lovely wave of satisfaction down Jide’s stomach. If he had his way, he would rigmarole and enjoy watching the men sit on that fence of perplexity.

“They took the bait, I presume?”

The disappointment in Kalu’s tone dispatched a chill down Jide’s spine. It was as if the man had wished they would not come back. As if deep down he wanted them to perish there in the enemy’s camp. But…no, it can’t be. Jide shrugs off the thought. Kalu was not just a trusted servant, he was the King’s brother. The finest man in the kingdom and the meekest. And I trust him with my life. King Nnaji had said when Jide had questioned Kalu’s integrity.

Neither Jide nor Ginika had answered the man’s question. They kept struggling with the white wool as they peeled it off from their body. The white powdered substance which the women in the village had smeared on every part of their skin was even more difficult to remove, especially since there was no water to weaken the adhesive ends. The women had warned them of the dangers of removing the powders without water, but Jide did not care at the moment. He just wanted to get rid of the powder and its stink. Plus, he was hungry and needed to get home.

“Do you have any water with you?” Jide asks.

“Certainly, my child.” King Nnaji said as he untied the lace of the water skin from his waist. “But it is meant for drinking.” He dropped his hands suddenly when Jide reached for the water skin.

“I need it,”

“Not until you tell me everything I need to know about King Bozo and his plans to attack our village.”

Jide snorted. He could easily go on with their encounter with King Bozo, but he restrained himself when he remembered that the man was the ruler of Umudike. Without the crown and those fancy robes which always distinguish common men from nobles, King Nnaji was just an ordinary man. He was just like a commoner, locked in the cage of curiosity, knocking on the door of ignorance and desperately reaching out for the keys of understanding.

“That was not the deal,” Jide said instead.

“Deal?” King Nnaji chuckled, “I can’t remember making any deal with you.”

“You would have if I had told you about it,” Jide added, ignoring the sarcasm that hung on the man’s face like the edge of a glinting blade.

“Huh?” Nnaji shared a disturbing look with Kalu before reverting his gaze to Jide, “Do you make deals with people without informing them?”

“No, I make the deals first, then I inform them later. Can I have the water now?”

“Just give the boy the water already.” Kalu snatched the water skin from Nnaji and handed it over to Jide.

“They took the bait, your highness,” Ginika said curtly and with more respect. He had succeeded in removing some of the white powder from his face, but those on other parts of his body seemed unperturbed by his struggles and scratching fingers.

“The gods be praised.” King Nnaji lifted his hands in relief and thanksgiving.

“It was easier than I thought. Good work, gentlemen.” Kalu beamed with fresh smiles, similar to that of King Nnaji.

“It's easy for you to say,” Jide handed the water skin to Ginika and started wiping off the powder. “Anyway,” he shrugged uneasily, “I would like to return home. As quickly as I can before my parents start asking questions. Our secret plans had worked according to the way we had planned it. So, I would like to retire home now, if you don’t mind. Your highness.”

“I do mind,” King Nnaji said, stepping forward and placing his muscular hands on Jide’s shoulders.

My god. Jide breathed in at the weight of the man’s arm. For a brief moment, he thought he was going to get crushed from the king’s arm which was twice the weight of fifteen bags of cassava, stashed together as a whole.

“Ibu dike Umudike (you are the hero of Umudike).” King Nnaji’s smile widened as he patted Jide’s shoulders.

Jide held his breath, biting down the pain that was beginning to burn on his shoulders from the older man’s hand. Even though the King kept ranting and calling him sweet names, Jide did not hear. His concern was those hands that look like the trunk of a fallen iroko tree.

“Your legacy will remain in our land forever,” The King said and lifted his hands away from Jide’s shoulders.

Relief flowed through Jide’s soul, but it didn’t last. The King had lifted his hands away from Jide’s shoulders intending to rest them on Jide's head.

Everything slowed as Jide watched the descending hands in horror.

Those arms are heavy, what will they do to my height when he places them on my head? I must do something and fast. There is no way I will let that heavy log of a hand rest on my head.

Jide coughed and took a step backward. It was the only thing he could do at the moment without appearing rude or indolent. And he was glad it worked. The King’s hands fell to his side, and there was no hint of remorse or rebuke from the king as he continued to rain down praise on Jide.

“I still have to go,” Jide cleared his throat, hoping to get the King’s attention.

“You saved our land, Jide. Even though small and insignificant, you save our land from war. We are greatly indebted to you.” Kalu said.

“Yes, Jide.” King Nnaji added, “I would like to talk to your father. Maybe your family can relocate to the royal house. And the entire village has to know about your bravery and intelligence. The people need to hear of your heroism.”

Jide’s stomach juts with excitement. Living in the royal house will mean more food. And more food means more money in his father’s pocket. But on the other hand, what will his father say if he hears about this? Jide had not only done this secretly, but he had also done it without the consent of his father, the king’s council members, and every member of the village. Only four people knew about this plan, and they were all present here. What will father say? Will he be proud that I did this or will he rebuke me?

“I will…” Jide wanted to say, but the hands of Kalu went around his mouth, making him gulp the words.

The hair on Jide’s skin stood as a wave of fright and confusion held him captive. He studied the narrowed expression on Kalu’s face and seemed to calm down when the man placed his first finger on his mouth, urging Jide to remain quiet. Jide swallowed and nodded. Kalu released him and urged him to the position where King Nnaji and Ginika were already hiding their forms, away from the main road.

Some of the palace guards that had escorted the king were also hiding in different positions. Jide would not have seen them, if Kalu had not signaled to the three men, hanging on the tree, just on the other side of the road.

“What’s wrong,” Jide whispered, trying to clear his confusion and his ebbing anxiety.

Kalu did not answer, instead, he pointed with his nose.

Jide followed the man’s gaze to the main road. The sun was still bashing the earth with its radiance and even though the canopies of trees tried to form a shelter of some sort, the fine sand still glittered, testifying the boundary between the two villages.

At first, Jide did not see anything, but everything slowed when a Zebra suddenly appeared from the direction of their village. Sitting on the saddle was a man, or a warrior—from the animal skin on his chest and side. He seemed to be traveling to the other side of the village, to the enemy’s camp. His features were somewhat familiar too, but it was hard for Jide to place a name on the face. The man had disguised himself perfectly, and the Hawk mask hid his eyes too, even his jawlines.

A hawk man? Jide exhaled, not realizing until then, that he was holding his breath. A man with a Hawk face, why does it sound so familiar?

Jide furrowed his brow. But that didn’t last. King Nnaji had snapped his fingers, and as if that was the signal, Kalu and the other warriors jumped out from their hiding place, with swords blazing dangerously as they attacked the man from all angles.