CHAPTER 64

Another wave of dust followed the marching feet as the men snailed through the mountain peaks like migrating ants. From one end of the hill to the far side on the horizon, war songs upheld the calmness that once asserted the forest. There were at least a hundred men on horseback and a thousand or so on foot. These were husbands, fathers, farmers, brothers, and uncles. Before now, they were familiar with pitchforks, knives, and other household materials. But not anymore. Years of torture and torment from the Freeborns have drilled them into valiant warriors of anger and vengeance. They were fearless and would battle anything that stood in their way. While some people in the council had argued about their brutality, the truth no one was seeing was the fact that these men had kept the land safe for the past fifty years. It was the will to keep their family and loved ones from oppression that kept them going. That love was so stronger than any force in the universe.

Bozo deepened his hands into his coat and took out his snuff-box. The moist wind was heavy here. He has not traveled this far south for as long as he could remember. Even seeing it again brought back dead memories, one he wished would remain dead. It was about thirty years now, yet it felt like yesterday, he could still hear his boyhood cry as they begged Maduka to remain with him. They had spent the first five years of their lives, running from those who seek their head. But Maduka had refused. He had remained in this land. He had married and had built his family here. Yet, this same land he swore to protect had gulped his blood and those of his household.

Tapping the snuff box angrily, Bozo yanked the coverlid open but hissed when the wooden end of the object suddenly snapped in his fingers. Everything would have been perfect if only Maduka had listened to him and followed his plans. None of this would have happened. None.

“You, over there,” Kachi pointed, “keep a sharp eye. I wouldn’t want any surprises” He patted his male ostrich and the animal ambled towards Bozo.

“Any report?” Bozo said, scooping the snuff with his index finger without looking at the captain.

“Seems they know we are coming. The sniffers discovered a few cold fires ahead.”

Good. It will happen any moment from now, Bozo thought. He drove the mountain of black powder into his nostril and shivered with glee when the familiar rush traveled into his brain. Sneezing twice, he wiped the tear and readied himself for another round.

“The men think we should attack at dusk.” 

Bozo sneezed again and blew out the phlegm from his nostrils. He could almost imagine his eyes turning red. Kachi did not remark, the man was a sycophant most of the time. Not today, however. He only remained quiet as Bozo relieved himself. He was watching the horizon or pretended to. Kachi was also unpredictable, especially when he needed something.

"We attack anytime I say so,"

"But…" Kachi nudged the Ostrich and it walked closer to Bozo's horse, "Attacking at dawn would leave our men exposed. We haven't built our defenses."

"Every reason why we should attack now. Delay, they say, is dangerous. The clock is ticking, captain. We have the element of surprise. And we should use it."

"Element of surprise?" Kachi tugged his horny mustache as his brown eyes walked back to the men. "Have you heard any word I said"

"Oh, yes, yes." Bozo grunted, hoping the man would let him be, "the sniffer's report. Noted. But we still have a wide advantage over that murder."

Kachi nodded and rubbed his sweaty palms on his beard. He pretended to understand, but the question in his eyes told Bozo that the man was the one who was not paying attention. 

"You know what this forest is called?" Bozo shoved another snuff into his nose without looking at the captain.

"Pardon my ignorance, great lord. But I have never been this far south before."

"That explains your concern." Bozo sniffed and wiped his eyes with the back of his hands. He has not had his full, but that would be after the war. There is a lot of work to be done.

"It was the harvest ground of Osu. The place where men, women, and children were kept in a chain and allowed to die in the cold until any day the land decides to use them as sacrifices for atonement. Your family and mine might as well be down there if some of our fathers had not run away."

There was a spark that went from one end of Kachi's eyes to the other. It was of sympathy and anger. Bozo understood the feeling. He could feel them himself. It was part of the reason why he had stayed away from this land. 

"But everything has changed." Bozo continued as he returned his snuff into his coat. "Currently, this forest is called Iyi. A curse forest. A place where children are left to die in the cold or in the insatiable stomach of wild animals."

"Dead children?" Kachi shifted on the ostrich. He had not used a saddle. He wouldn't even use one on a horse, "are you not afraid we might invoke their spirit?"

"It is the other way round, my good friend. These children were killed unjustly. And like the Osu, their blood is crying for vengeance."

"I see," Kachi nodded and a wicked smile began to appear on the weather-beaten lips, "you would stir up that anger and use it to your advantage"

"Who am I." Bozo laughed, glad that the man had gotten the point, "Behold I am the weapon of the gods."

"This is fascinating. You are indeed great, my lord." Kachi dipped his heel on the side of his Ostrich and the animal started down the hill. The men below saluted but he wasn't paying attention as he started raining out instructions. They have found their fighting spot.