CHAPTER 18

Jide clenched his fist and shifted the wooden stool on his head. The sun was just beginning to stand on the world so high, but he could sense his blood boiling with what he could only interpret as anger. The uneasiness on his soul added more salt to his injury. This was a futile effort. Reporting the town crier's crime to the elders was like a deer picking a fight with a Wolf and going after to report to the pack how badly they've hurt it. They were all the same, the elders and the town crier alike. Stray dogs don't leave their deeds in the dark. Even their whiff could be perceived from a far distance.

Jide hissed and held firmly the wooden stool whose weight was beginning to burrow a hole in his scalp. While most Osu (outcasts), would die with excitement to have a moment in the King’s court, Jide found it rather annoying. The urine smell of the court, and the old woman who walked about bare chest, made him wonder if beauty has lost its tussle with ugliness. Even those so-called wise men of the village could hardly keep their cloth and beard clean. Well, maybe they usually hide some of the King’s gold under their unshaved mustache. There was no better explanation.

“I hope you remembered everything I taught you,” 

Jide nodded but remained quiet. His father towered at his right, and his muscular features shed the light of the sun, casting a shadow upon Jide. Unlike the so-called elders, Maduka kept a smooth face. It's been years now since Jide was born, yet Jide has never seen any hair on the man's jaw. His face was always immaculate and the stone-cold expression could leave one with the idea that Maduka was mean. It was an irony which Jide was trying so hard to imitate. Maduka's mouth still smelled like a raw egg though, but it was manageable, compared to those men in the King’s cabinet.

“Good,” Was all his father said before returning his attention to the sandy path.

Silence sheathed their travel, leaving their footfalls to announce their presence. 

Just ahead, two birds drifted in the air, with one chasing the other fiercely. Maduka took no notice, probably absorbed by the speech he was going to present before the council. He was the only Osu (outcast)allowed in the King's cabinet, all because he had saved the King's life in the first dark war.

But Jide couldn't help the smile as he watched the birds. For the millionth time, he was glad that his father was not a full member of the King’s council. His father was among the Thirty. He was among those fierce warriors who stood face to face with the enemy. Men of valor who fought to bring honor and victory and battle stories home. To Jide, it was more honorable to be a member of the Thirty, than growing roots and tendrils on the skin as a result of sitting down on a spot and watching the sunrise and fall.

"Tell me a story about the dark war"

Maduka breathed in, "Not now, Jide. Ask anything but that. We should keep our focus. The gods bless our souls if they set aside our differences and give us a listening ear."

"But what if the town crier does not show up or what if those Amadi (freeborn), decide to defend their own?” Jide asked.

His father didn’t answer immediately as he was busy exchanging greetings with some two women who hurriedly passed by. Turning back to Jide he said. 

"They would try to defend him, especially on the adultery case. I wouldn't batter them either. No, my interest is the damage they caused on our farm."

"The town crier will not show up,"

"Oh, that would be a blessing from the gods.” Maduka laughed “It will make everything easy. The verdict would rule in our favor and that means that the town crier would pay double. One for ignoring the King's call and the other for the damages he did to our farm."