CHAPTER 23

As always, the language that speaks on the stone wall was the language the dead spoke. At least five torches were hanging in circles on the rough wall. It was a simple room and could have been empty but for the stone chairs.

Men in blue gowns sat in silence with their thoughts, watching and observing. Each had the customary chalk and hid their identities beneath a mask.

Hawk could not place a name on any of the men. Name was forbidden. The only name that was allowed was the name of the stone, a name given to each individual according to the animal mask they wore.

"You are late," Someone said. He had the mask of a bull, which matched the heaviness in his muscles. He was also tall, perhaps the tallest in their midst, and like the rest, he wore a blue vest, twice the size of an average man, but too small for his protruding muscles.

Hawk ignored the man at first as he walked towards his seat. Bull, as he was called, was the right hand of the King, perhaps, the most trusted individual within the stones. He had killed so many and was loyal, there was no doubt who would take the King's place if he passed away.

"Was caught by the rain," Hawk said and took the empty seat.

"Not an excuse, and you know it"

That's your problem and not mine. Hawk wanted to say but restrained himself. Bull can not fool him. Despite his loyalty, Hawk could read through his act. It was for selfish interest. Bull's loyalty was nothing but an act to acquire power and prestige, and Hawk hated him for that.

"But your diligence and faithfulness still proclaim your name in the court of judgment" Bull continue "this should not repeat itself"

"It wouldn't," Hawk muttered and dropped his bag by his side.

"So, stone dwellers, what's your report?" Bull said again and returned to his seat. He was barely seated when Falcon leaned in and started whispering in his ears.

That man was up to no good. Hawk hissed and tucked his hair on his ear. Even though he pretended to be distracted, he kept a close eye on Falcon and Bull. The two-lot were dangerous, selfish, and too inclined to please the King.

At least twenty men sat on the stones, each hiding their identity behind a mask. It was a full house and...

Hawk's frown deepened when he noticed for the first time that the gold throne was empty. He had a piece of vital information that would interest the king, but it pained him that the man had decided to miss this crucial meeting.

"The war, great one. A report came to my table this morning that two cities have failed to pledge allegiance. Dirmuza and Olkoti." Wolf, a fair skin man, young for his age and clever in words and action, said.

"Dirmuza and Olkoti," Lion repeated, "those two are twin sisters, stubborn in words and action. My men and I will make sure they bow to the Lord of all."

"No," Bull shook his head, "not yet"

"Not yet?" Lion asked, not bothering to hide the surprise in his voice, "those people need to taste the wrath of our steel. We need to show them who the boss is."

"I said not yet," Bull repeated, stressing each word. Lion was not pleased by that, but tried to conceal his anger. It was dangerous to anger the King's, right-hand man.

"Hawk," Bull called "what's your report?"

Hawk stood as if he had expected the question. He was not the favorite son in the stone, but they listened to him and sometimes obeyed his counsel.

"Why did my horn and master skived today's meeting?" Hawk asked, pushing his luck.

Silence returned to the stone as some of the men shifted uncomfortably on their seats. They must have noticed the King's absence but were probably too afraid to voice the question.

"Your faithfulness will speak before the King." Bull said, "Speak. For he hears and sees all."

Hawk stroked his nose. He didn't believe that. How can a man with flesh and blood hear and see all? Was the King trying to usurp the throne of the almighty creator?

"Em..." Hawk cleared his throat, still contemplating if it was a wise idea to disclose his findings in the absence of the King, "Report from the east." He cleared his throat again, "Our fame has slain our enemies for us. The King of our enemies has ordered that the village be evacuated before the next full moon. Aku efechago. Awo n'enwezi awuli (good fortune is ours)"

Delight spread through the eyes of the men in the room. They were all nodding their heads, and the smiles that smolder the side of their lips seemed to animate their masked faces.

"The gods of our land have answered our prayers," Bull said as he lifted his hands to the heavens "Ndulu mmili, ekele ooo (The water dove, we thank you)."

"Ise eee (amen)" The rest of the men chorused in unison and shook hands with one another.

"But," Hawk said and the delight that spread in the room waxed to confusion and anxiety. "We might still have a little problem."

"What problem on earth is little?" Wolf hissed, "this was all too easy. I suspected it. Nothing comes out from your mouth without strings attached."

"Trust me," Hawk said "This problem would have passed without any significant, but, our people say, eleghara nwa ite, omenyu oku (little negligence can cause disaster)"

"Okay, Hawk. What is this little problem?" Dog asked, speaking for the first time.

"This problem is a girl," The hawk man said, "Her name is Jidennaya"

"A girl?" Falcon laughed, "what can stand in our way. A girl? That's unheard of"

Some of the men chuckled, while some laughed at the thought. No one has challenged the King before, no animal, beast, or human. Nothing has opposed his might and dominion. He was a great Lord, a powerful King in all the land

"How can a girl bear the name, Jidennaya?" Bull asked

Hawk shrugged. He had asked the same question himself, but his source had said that Jidennaya was a girl. So, a girl she must be.

"I don't know," Hawk said, "But Jidennaya is the daughter of Maduka, son of Obi, of the tribe of Obigwe, of the clan of obigwenigwe. There are rumors that she goes around the village causing trouble. But my ears and a reliable source had said that she is endowed with the wisdom of angels. I heard she had captured the mind of the king and he was insisting that he was going to marry her. If that happens, then this rare wisdom would be passed into the strong heirloom of our enemy's Kingdom. We must stop it. While she might pose a little threat at the moment, I suggest we find a solution. Ka anyi bido kita chuwa ewu oji (let's make hay while the sun shines)."

"Thank you so much, Hawk." Bull said, "You have done a great job. We have come too far to fear a little girl that is still learning to suck her mother's breast. I will send our men. This fly will not be a nuisance to our success."

Cheers rose in the air, and for the first time that day, Hawk felt his heart elevating with joy. Soon he would have the land that the king had promised him. Soon they would take over their enemies, even without shields or swords or any battle cries.

"Let's celebrate," Hawk shouted as some young, naked maiden appeared from the back of the cave. Each of them bore a horn of fresh palm wine and well-prepared goat meat and stew.

It's going to be a long night of enjoyment. Hawk swallowed as he grabbed one of the girls, lustfully.