CHAPTER 10

“As promised” Uche signalled with his first finger and the servants dropped the baskets beside the small hut, “here are the gifts.”

The Dibia stood and counted the baskets with her nose. There were ten baskets of yam, six baskets of tomatoes, five baskets of ogbono, and a calabash of undiluted palm wine. At least six chicken in their prime were tied together in another basket, just next to some edible vegetables.

“You have done well,” the Dibia nodded and returned to her seat. The antelope skin that hung on her shoulders, kept her proud nature affirmed and nothing suggested if she was pleased with the present or not.

“And here are the Six bags of cowries, for your trouble.” Uche smiled and dropped the bag into the Lion's skull, right in front of the diviner. He nodded once and his servants retired home while he took the wooden seat opposite the older woman.

“I hope everything went as planned?” Uche asked

The Dibia muttered some silent words and took a chalk from her goatskin bag. Uche could not tell exactly what the woman was doing. But he sat quietly, and kept watching.

She had drawn a circle on the dust and had spread some dried piece of bones at the center. Uche had seen her done something like this before. Even though he cannot read the words of the bones, a silent voice at the back of his head told him that he had found favour in the presence of the gods.

“Igwurube.” The Diviner said. She also had a metal gong whose melody rhymed with her incantation “Okirikiri ka ana-aga ukwu ose anaghi ari ya elu. Let the praise of your humble servants be acceptable before your presence.”

“Ise ee (Amen),” Uche nodded.

The diviner discarded her works and without permission, she dragged a tomato basket and started eating from them.

“Hmm,” she moaned, “This is good. Taste like tomatoes from Umulari”

“The harvest was good, wise one. The gods be praised.” Uche said and shifted his weight on the sit.

“Bless your soul” The Dibia said, “the work was done perfectly. The elders where blinded by my words. They couldn’t ask questions. That’s what happens when everyone sees you as a witch.”

Uche laughs. “I am so happy to hear that, great one. Thank you so much.”

“What are friends for? Besides, you are the best warrior in the village. Your life is worth more than thousands.”

“I am flattered by your words, wise one.”

“It's the truth, Uche. Ejima does not deserve you at all.”

“My mistake.” Uche smiled and took a deep breath in. “I should have married your sister the first time I set my eyes on her.”

“Blah, enjoy her. With her husband out of the way and Ejima serving her wretched life in the shrine. You are a king. So enjoy it, my friend”

“Serving her time in the shrine?” Uche jerked from his seat, ignoring the woman’s flattery, “That was not the plan.”

“I know. Relax. You are still in a sacred place, remember” The Dibia wiped her mouth and cleaned her hands on her cloth, “my hands were tied. I couldn’t kill her, not with the nose of the elders sniffing my every move”

“But...” Uche scratched his head and returned to his seat. “this has ruined my plans. I can’t believe she survived. Ejima's life is like a lich to my humble soul. I should have killed her myself.”

“And incur the wrath of the gods? Be my guest.” The Dibia stood and rested her hands on her staff, “Relax Uche. Relax my in-law. Eating an elephant takes time. Relax my dear. Ejima will be a story in history soon enough. I want to get rid of her as much as you do.”

“Oh, that poor thing. She has no friend does she?”

“who cares.” The Dibia hissed. “I saw her six months ago, in a dream. Her existence must be wiped out. She must not take my place in the kingdom.”