CHAPTER 67

Cold went through her nape as she went on down the lonely path. Raining season had pathways for the harmattan wind, which fogged the treetops like the smoke of a burning bush. Until today, coming here wouldn't have crossed her mind in ages. It's been a long time and every step into the forest flushes back the memory. How long has it been? Why was the forest notorious for harboring evil?

Ejima steadied her hands on her staff. The burning sensation on her side was still there and her head ached. She needed a good sleep. She needs to clear her mind. Life has indeed dealt with her, she could sense the heavy stripes on her soul and the weight crashing on her shoulders. It has always been from one problem to another, one death or misfortune to another. She was the victim. Maybe the villagers were right? Maybe the words of the Dibia were right? Maybe she indeed was a daughter of misfortune.

No, that can't be. A voice assured in her head as she continued. She had not met anyone, not that she cared. All she wanted to do was to stop the war, to save her children, to save the village from blood bath.

"Don't move" came a forceful yell.

Ejima stopped. She turned in every direction and her pulse abruptly started to race. The treetops were desolate and the path was clear. Not even the crips of a bird could be heard. Yet, she couldn't place a face on the voice that had called. It had come from everywhere and nowhere.

"Who are you?"

The question only left Ejima turning to the right and satisfaction welled in her stomach when she saw the owner of the voice hiding behind a huge tree. He still wore his hair in a braid and had tied them back to form a ponytail cascade. Even from the distance, Ejima could see the rich brown eyes and the gigantic features. He wasn't wearing those silly cowries, thank the gods, but his looks were...well. Ejima shrugged.

"You look beautiful." That was an awkward thing to say and Ejima regretted saying them as the man walked out of his hiding place. Contempt and disdain marked his poise and expression.

"It's you. How did you survive?" He sounded surprised yet the animosity on his face remained unruffled.

"I am a survivor, Uche. You will have to try harder to get rid of me."

"Hmm, I will consider cutting your head off this time." Uche took out his bow and notched an arrow. "You should have stayed dead. But now you would force my hands to do the unthinkable."

Ejima swallowed the pain and forced back the tears that were threatening to pull out of her eyes. How did they get here? She was once the apple of Uche's eyes. She had loved this man with all her heart. What had she done to birth his anger and hate? What could have been the problem? He could barely look at her now without disgust and horror. What had she done to deserve this?

"There is no need to fight this war. Call off your men, Uche. We should not horn with the blood of our fellow countrymen."

"I see. So you are against us. Very well, like I said. I will enjoy killing you this time."

"You are not listening to me, Uche. Killing me will not…" Ejima screamed as something sharp ripped through her right arm, cutting flesh and bones. The force was so great that it had pushed her backward and pinned her arms on the tree. She shrieked in horror, breathing and cursing as her blood oozed like a fountain. 

"You are a monster," she cried as she watched Uche. He had notched another arrow.

"This would be lovely," Uche said and aimed.

Despite the pain, Ejima observed the distance he had maintained. Maybe the hole they had dug separated them. That must be the reason why Uche had not walked closer to her and had reclined to shoot arrows instead.

Ejima tried to pull herself free. But the arrow would not bulge. 

"Curse be on your head Uche. May you never know peace. May vultures eat your body while you are still alive."

"Empty words. Word of a pitiful dying woman." Uche giggled, "the vultures would enjoy yours first."

Without warning, Uche drew back his arrow and they came flying towards Ejima.

This is the end. Ejima closed her eyes. Experience was a cruel teacher, it gives you the test before teaching you the lesson. She should have listened to the warnings of Mmechi. Uche was a dangerous man, there was no saving him. The village was beyond redemption. She should have listened.

Ejima breathed in, waiting for the arrowhead to pierce her skull. But to her disbelief, she felt a presence before her.

Slowly, she opened her eyes and as she had predicted, the arrow had been directed to her face but had stopped moving. They were inches away and in the hands of the most beautiful man she had ever seen.

"Hello, mother." He smiled and snapped the arrow as though they were twigs.