CHAPTER 24

Jide swallowed the last pounded yam, licking his fingers, one at a time. The wine tasted good, or better than what his father normally gets from the old wine tapper in the village. Life was stunning if one was born with blue blood. Who could have guessed that a nobody like him would one day be a special guest of the King?

Breathing in, he leaned on the chair and rested his legs on the stool. 

It had rained last night and twice the day before. Planting season has begun and not many men have good yam in their barn. The ones who do would probably want to sell at a higher cost. And that's where being rich has its advantage.

Jide's lips broadened as a small smile smudged them. He knew he shouldn't be here. He'd heard stories of how cruel the king could be on anyone that fails to play by his rules. These men were brutal to outcasts that crossed their path. But the buffet kept his foot entrenched. This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and he was going to grab it with both hands.

He laughed and picked a chicken from the plate. Before him was potato stew, Egwusi soup, and vegetables. There were oranges, watermelon, and other fruits, too numerous to place a name on. His father was prominent among the people and was successful. But even such success could not amass what was before him at the moment. Indeed, being a guest of the throne was promising.

“I came to see for myself”

Jide’s left eye flicked open to the voice. The servant girl standing by his right was slim and her hair was…

Jide jumped from his seat. This was no servant girl. At least ten to fifteen cowries were knitted into her dark braided hair, with red beads and wristband contrasting the silver crown that rested on her hair. Her chocolate skin was like those of a chick and her eyes glimmered with a strength that was identical to those of the king.

“My queen…Em…I mean, princess. Ndewoo (I greet you)”

The girl only pursed her lips with disgust. Jide did not notice. He had heard his father describe the beauty of a woman, but he has never beheld one with his eyes. Maybe, the creator purposefully designed princesses with such elegance that could make the eyes run out of the socket. Every tale about princesses has always portrayed how beautiful they were. Jide has never heard a story of an ugly princess. They were always charming, with fine long hair and beautiful skin tone. The creator’s choice. 

"What?" The girl asked.

Jide broke his gaze, with cheeks turning red hot. His eyes were on the empty plates now, and for some passing moments, he just could not help the thoughts that lingered in his head. The food, yes, that must be the secret. If princesses were always beautiful, then it must be because of the food they eat.

"Please cover your mouth next time you decide to stare at people." the princess hissed and walked further into the room, "and who greets someone with, Ndewo? That's no appropriate way to address the heir to the throne?”

“Sorry,” Jide bit his lips. He wanted to apologies further but suddenly realized his mistake, “Throne?” He repeated and lifted his head to meet the princess’s angelic gaze, “heir to which throne, exactly?”

The princess’s brow elevated.

“If you lack simple informal education, then I think your parents deserve to be punished.”

Jide giggled. His face was heating now and willpower was the only thing restraining his tongue from spitting out the worse. He had done enough damage already. The other day he had challenged an elder in front of the King’s cabinet. Even though the King had occasionally invited him to the palace to dine at the royal house, his anxious mind was still waiting for the day the king would finally punish him. Especially now that the King had not said anything about the incident. It’s been three days. Three days of drinking and eating.

“Adaku, daughter of wealth and power. Your name indeed precedes your beauty” Jide pointed at the expensive beads and cowries that covered the girl’s neck. She also had three Jigida on her waist, adding more dignity to her royal traits. " But, I think you need to refine your brain. While you flaunt those riches, try and use some to acquire common sense. You will need it when you ascend your throne of ash and pebbles.”

“Watch your tongue, you lowlife rascal.” Princess Adaku’s eyes burned, “Don’t forget where you are. I can order the guards to make you vomit your intestine,”

“I am the King’s guest,” Jide smiled. He had overheard his father some days before. The King's guests were treated specially according to tradition. 

“And the King is my father,” Adaku shouted.

“Yes, your father.” Jide returned to his seat, angry that the girl was disturbing his quiet time, “You see why I suggest you buy common sense? I pray that the gods will grant you one. Even a sucking baby knows that the office of the King and personal matters are two lines that can never meet”

It was the princess’s turn to flush with embarrassment. The skin under her jaw was twitching now.

“For a girl your age. You really are a blabbermouth.”

“Point of correction,” Jide rolled his eyes, “I am a boy. And blabbermouth?” Jide laughed, “I will take that as a compliment.”

“Of course you would,” Adaku gnashed her teeth but remained quiet.

“Chei, you have anger issues too. Please, when you want to purchase that common sense, don’t forget to buy an emporium of pacifiers.”

“You are a rascal.” Adaku flared. Her face had turned pink, “I will have the guards punish you for insulting the heir to the throne.”

“There she goes again. How many times will I tell you.” Jide leaned back on the wooden chair, “There is no throne. Or haven’t you heard that the entire village will be evacuating soon? Unless you are ready to rule the lizards and the squirrels while the rest of the village is away, then you can be my guest.”     

“Evacuate?” The princess’s face narrowed, “What do you mean by that?”

“He means that the village will be wiped out if we don’t evacuate” 

Jide jumped from his seat at the King’s voice. He straightened his cloth and tucked his long hair on his ears. How long has the King been standing there? How much of their conversation has he heard?

“But father,” Adaku’s eyes shifted to the King whose features towered over them, “How can that be? I thought we are the greatest Kingdom in the world. How can that be? What happened to our warriors and weapons? Are we going to give up easily?”

Instead of answering her, the King pulled Adaku into his muscular arm. There was no resemblance between the two. Why the King looked as if he had been formed from coal, his daughter’s chocolate skin contrasted his muscular features. However, the only similarity between the two was the long dark hair.

“We are in the hands of the gods,” The King said as he peeled away from his daughter, “Jide has devised a good plan that will give us an edge over our enemies. All we need to do is follow his instruction. That is why I made him the chief of my war strategist.”

“What?” Adaku’s eyes widened as she turned her attention at Jide, “Father, how can this be? I mean. This girl is too insignificant to know anything about wars. How can she be…there must be a mistake, somewhere.”

Jide winked at the girl as pride and victory seemed to flood into his mind simultaneously. If their plan to fight the other village was going to work, then evacuating the people was the best idea. Until yesterday, he never knew how good the plan was. It was foolish but good. They will survive only if…Wait a minute, war strategist?

“Your highness?” Jide’s blinked with confusion, “Did you just—”

“Yes, Jidennaya.” The king’s smile widened, “I told the elders today that you are the new war strategist of the kingdom.”

“What? No…no way,” Jide backed away as fear suddenly grip him. How could the King place such a delicate task on his shoulders? He was too little. He was good for nothing. Was the King out of wit or has old age suddenly affected his thinking faculty?