CHAPTER 35

“By the heavens!"

Adaku jerked away, but her elbow caught the calabash by the right, knocking it off from the rack and spluttering the black liquid. Nnenna’s eyes broadened as she tried to jump away, but Adaku did not give her the room. She caught Nnenna by the collar and landed two hot slaps on the older girl’s cheeks.

“My…princ…”

“One more word from you and this Uri (local pencil) would be the last thing you remember when I have your head hanging on the crimson pole.”

Tears were already dripping as Nnenna held her cheeks. She muttered something under her breath but did not make any reasonable sound. Adaku was tired of Nnenna’s foolishness. She had taught the girl how to hold the pencil so that it wouldn't hurt. But every time, Nnenna would push the pencil with so much pressure that it often sent a stinging sensation through Adaku’s skin.

“Are you stupid?”

“I am so sorry, my princess. It won’t happen again.”

“Yes, of course, it won’t.” Adaku breathed out, not realizing she had been holding her breath, “It won’t happen again because I want you and your mother to pack your things and leave the palace. I don’t want to see your sorry black faces in my father’s kingdom again.”

“My princess,” Nnenna fell to her knees, hands cupped and eyes elevated to Adaku as if she was the goodness and Nnenna was the supplicant sinner asking for atonement.

“Don’t touch me with your slave hands” Adaku leaped backward.

Despite the rage that heated her face, she just could not help the smile that threatens to broaden the side of her lips. One thing she liked about being a princess was the way people beg her for a favor. It was always a fun thing and she enjoys every part of it.

“We have lived in the palace all our life. My mother is a widow and a poor one. We don’t have anywhere to go. Please, don’t send us away, I promise to be a good servant. I really do. What happened today was a mistake.”

“Yeah. It really was a mistake and I don’t want such mistakes to ensue again. That’s why I have to lay you off and find a better servant. See what you did to my cheeks? You ruined my make-up for heaven’s sake. What will I tell my friends when we meet today for the moon party?”

“I am so sorry,” Nnenna cried.

Adaku smirked and held her nose as an acrid smell suddenly veered through the room. It was sharp but did not last long as it disappeared almost immediately. Was it the smell of the split content? She shifted her attention to the black liquid which was now blending with the polished clay floor. No, I doubt. The Uri does not have such odor. It must be Nnenna. Yes, she and her mother have the stink of poverty on them. Adaku rasped at the thought and took another step back. She has heard some tales about how poverty used to be contagious in the past. She really was not ready to check if the story was true or not. Not while she still has so much luxury to enjoy.

“Please, my princess, I am sorry,” Nnenna sniveled.

“Nnenna dear,” Adaku smiled finally and walked some paces towards the girl who was all sweat and tears. She stopped when she got close to Nnenna, but not close enough for Nnenna’s hands to reach her.

“You’ve been my servant even before I could barely say my name. You’ve watched me while I grow and have always been there to pick me up whenever I fall. You remember the day I nearly drowned in the white river?”

“Yes” Nnenna nodded and this time did not return to her weepy state. Perhaps the princess’s words had some oil that was able to soothe the edges of a broken heart. “Old memories,” Nnenna smiled. “I saved you from the waters, but the following day, you nearly got burnt by boiling oil. But thank the heavens I got burnt instead. You always get into trouble and I am always there to save you.”

“Exactly,” Adaku clapped her hands, glad that the older girl was seeing things from her perspective, “You always save me, my dear. When I fall, when I am sick, when I am in trouble. You have always been there”

“I am grateful for that,” Nnenna elevated her eyes to meet the princess, “and I am willing to do more. Just don’t throw me out.”

“You are not getting the point,” Adaku frowned, “All these times I have been in trouble and you are there, I just thought about it and realized that you are the cause of my problem. I am not always myself whenever you are around. When I fall, when I am sick, you have always been there. So you must be the cause of my problems”

Nnenna’s eyes had narrowed now as she watched the princess with disbelief.

“I can’t have you beside me anymore. Your mother too. Both of you should leave the kingdom, immediately.”

“But my…”

“Guards,” Adaku screamed, not willing to hear the plea of the girl. It was already getting dark and she needed to get ready for the moon party. Plus, her best friends would be at the festival. And since Nnenna was leaving, it means she would do the makeup herself. And that would take half of the evening if she does not quicken her steps.

“Make sure she never crosses the palace gates again,” Adaku yelled at the muscular man who picked Nnenna from the floor and dragged her out of the room.

Nnenna continued to scream and plead for mercy, but Adaku had turned her attention to the reflection in the water to care. She regretted not driving out the girl and her mother earlier. At least, none of these would have happened and the misfortune they brought to the household of the King would have been cleaned.