CHAPTER 59

It was a simple plan. One that would leave them strong and help protect the village from the impending attack. But the trick however was finding the right time and space. Time was of the essence and if they were going to have any chance, acting fast and attacking first was the only weapon they had at their disposal. The miracle of surprise.

“The army would march from the south through the brush of the western forest,” Fanyi said, pushing one of the stones into the circle. “And if our itinerary gets rooted here, we can attack from this spot with everything we’ve got.”

“Using the canyon as leverage. That’s a smart move.” Uche nodded. 

There were at least six stones, each standing outside the circle drawn on the dust. It was a mini-map of the seven villages and the stones stood for the armies they had assembled. They had even sent words to the neighboring villages. If they have every freeborn by their side then victory was sure. 

“That’s a good idea.” King Nnaji said. He had his hand on his lips and was watching the map with keenness, looking to find any possible loop in their plan. “It’s a good plan. They wouldn’t see us coming. But, what about the spirits of the west?”

“The spirit of the west? What spirit are you talking about?” Uche lifted his brow and was watching the King as though he had developed a tail.

“The evil forest where unwanted babies are disposed of and left to die.” It was Gorcha, King Nnaji’s war strategist that spoke. “Living in the north, we believe that the people of Ame have a forest where they dispose of abominable babies. And rumors have it that the spirit of the west resides there.”

“Oh,” Uche chuckled, “You mean the forest of Iyi? No spirits are residing there. It is just a place where rubbish is being disposed of.”

“Actually, there is,” Fanyi straightened. Uche shot him a cold gaze, obviously not happy that Fanyi had affirmed the claims of King Nnaji. But he bit down the anger. Fanyi was not just his friend, the older man was like a father to him. He would tolerate him for the time being.

“But that shouldn’t be a problem,” Fanyi continued, “These are trying times and I believe the gods would fight for us. However, I would suggest we appease the spirits in that forest before we embark on the journey.”

“That’s fair enough,” King Nnaji nodded and took the bamboo seat that rested on the mango tree. There were bags under his brown eyes, and the creased holding his brow suggested how tired he was.

“You look troubled, my king. Must be missing someone. Who is she?” Uche said and sat beside the King.

The rest of the men had disbanded, each had their instruction. They were not going to wait for Bozo to attack. The plan was to take the fight to him. He wouldn’t see them coming, and that was the surprise they had installed for the King of Osu.

“Not she,” King Nnaji blinked tightly as if searching his eyes for a tear, “Kalu, my half-brother. He sacrificed his life to stay behind, to buy us time.”

“Such bravery.” Uche shook his head, “He must be a valiant soldier. Maybe we should be celebrating him, instead of mourning him.”

“You don’t understand,” King Nnaji breathed in. The tears were forming in his eyes now and were mucked with anger too, “Fighting was suicide. Even if we had all the armies in the world, there was no way we could have defeated those barbarians without a plan. Kalu should have known better.”

“Yet, he stayed instead. He protected you and your people.” Uche folded his hands over his chest and leaned his back on the mango tree, “All thanks to him, winning this war would be much easier. Plus, the alliance between your people and mine would last for a long time.”

“Alliance?”

“Yes, of course.” Uche laughed and leaned away from the mango tree, “You don’t expect me to fight alongside you just like that, do you?”

“I don’t” Nnaji narrowed his eyes, “I am no fool. What troubles me however is what you would want in return.”

“That part is easy,” Uche shrugged, “The perfect alliance is all I ask”

“You want my daughter's hand in marriage,”

“You make it sound like a bad thing,” Uche laughed and nudged the King playfully, “Your daughter for my blade. That’s fair enough.”

Silence passed through them as Nnaji grunted and looked away and when Uche thought he would not speak, the man said.

"Well, let me speak with her, to know her thoughts. Adaku is stubborn but I am sure she would understand.”

“Now that’s what I am talking about.” Uche laughed, “The perfect king for the perfect kingdom.”

“You are naïve.” The brown-eyed king groaned, “But I need your help, and would do anything to keep my family safe.”

“Nice. I was—” Uche paused when the jittering clatter from a bell caught his eyes. “Excuse me,” He said and walked away from the King who seemed to be uninterested.

What is he doing here? Uche kneaded his nose and his eyes searched the compound. There were no guards, no servants, or anyone that would stir suspicious questions. Besides, King Nnaji was a monarch, and Uche believed that the man would understand situations like this.

“Ume, this is not our meeting place,” Uche grunted and gestured to the man toward the corner of a hut.

Ume nodded and followed behind, all the while looking over his shoulders to make sure they were safe. He had spent the last forty years training to be deadly, and killing was his expertise. It would be a shame for someone to kill him by the same method he uses on others. 

“You should have sent a message. Do you want to put me in trouble?”

“You never mentioned that you were a King,” Ume said, resting his hands on the hilt of his sword. Unlike the rest of the palace guards, he had hyena skin and had painted his neck and face with black clays. He also smells. A stench that was more terrible than death itself.

“Why are you here, exactly? I don’t remember buying your service.”

“You haven’t paid me for the last one.”

“Funny,” Uche smirked, “The job was to kill one woman and you failed. You made me do it myself, and here you are asking for your pay?”

“We would settle that later,” Ume eased his shoulders, seeming uninterested, “The Dibia sent me here. Said I should remind you of your true enemy.”

“The missing toe creatures.” Uche rubbed his nose, “I never forgot. And since you are here I believe she must have briefed you on the mission.”

“Yes,” Ume nodded again, “My task is to kill everything on that island.”

“Good. And since the Dibia sent you to me, I guess that she wants me to pay for this?”

Ume only nodded but remained quiet.

“You will get your pay when the job is done.”

“You know that’s not how these things work.”

“It is for me,” Uche shrugged, “I paid you the last time and you did nothing. If you want your pay on this job, get it done and name your price afterward.”

Ume frowned as he tried to weigh the possibility. “Fine,” He said after some time, “I will get the job done. You should keep thirty bags of cowries for me by the time I am back. Your highness.”

He had stressed the last part, but Uche was no longer paying attention. His plans were playing out the way he wanted them to. If Ume could wipe the missing toe creatures, and if their army succeeds in beating Bozo, then he would have not just a nation to rule but an empire. He would be great, and his power would spread throughout the earth. That sounds interesting. 

"I will pay you forty," Uche smiled, "Just get the job done, and make sure no one comes out of that island alive"