CHAPTER 56

It was pointing in one direction, a dangerous one, and when she finally woke up, she was not surprised to see herself drenched in her own sweat and tears. The window tongued into the open night, and the breeze that slitterred into the room looms like the glossy song of an enchanter. Yet the thought of cruelty. How the man had held the woman and had watched her die slowly.

Mary wiped her eyes and stood from the bed. She picked the water skin and gulped the content while splashing some over her face. There were no moons and the twinkle of the stars was too deem to break the vile of the night. Somewhere around the compound a cock was crowing, announcing the birth of a new day. She had fallen asleep, and again, in her field uniform. How long was she out? Did she finish her petitions?

Yawning, she dropped the water skin and took the vacant seat. The dream was surreal, but she was not going to brood over it. Dreams were dreams and if they had any significant meaning, she was sure they would play out with time. Her experience thirty years ago had taught her not to put too much faith in dreams. She had dreamt of getting married to the prince of England. The dream had been so palpable that she had shared it with her friends and family. But it turns out God had other plans for her. Thirty years later and she is still in Africa, moving the gospel through every corner. She had not become a physical queen, but what queen or princess was better than fulfilling one’s purpose in life?

“I thank you Father for this gift. The gift of changing lives.” She said and undid the lace of her boot. She was about to undress when two soft knocks landed on her door.

Reflexively, she turned to the wall clock. It was 4. o’clock. Why would anyone want to disturb her at this time and hour? Was there an emergency? Has Papa Ik taken ill again?

 “It’s…” She cleared her throat, “Bless your soul. The door is open.”

“Good morning Instructor,” came the deep voice, “do you have a minute?” the owner of the voice said and ducked his head into the room.

“Mr. Godson.” Mary smiled and lit the match. The fire caught the thread of the candle, and the tongue was already dancing by the time she turned back to the door. “A pleasant morning. And yes, for you, I have all the time.” 

Godson nodded and disappeared. It didn’t take long for the wooden door to groan again, and Godson walked in with two teenagers. Both were girls, with dark flowing hair. Reasonable they seemed to be in their teens, they were some shoulder-length away from her.

Mary’s smile broadened and she gestured towards the empty seat. The children sat hesitantly, but Godson stood, with his hands behind, reminding her of their first encounter. Most men in the village had stood with their hands behind. A gesture to the gods, some had argued.

“We have good news,” Godson said. Mary could not read his expressions, but she could hear the excitement in his voice. It was as if he wanted to jump into the news right away. “He answered,” Godson continued, “Instructor. God has finally answered our long prayers.”

“Calm down, Godson.” Mary chuckled, “What are you talking about?

Godson walked further into the room and took her hands into his. She held the look in his eyes and for the passing moment, she just could not behold the glee that was written all over him.

“Some years back, Instructor. A man came here with money, asking you to help his village with your powers. And you encouraged him to walk in the light, in the path of righteousness, that only then can he really find rest for his soul. Do you remember?”

“How can I forget,” Mary nodded. She could even see his face. The brown eyes and those delicate scars on the right side of his cheeks. She will never forget someone who had offered to buy the gift of God with money.

“The sign, Instructor. It came back today.”

“You mean the man?”

“No,” Godson shook his head and his eyes widened more with excitement, “This, instructor.” He searched his pocket and brought out a brown parchment, “it came back, just as the vision had foretold.”

Mary thought she heard the sound of her heart as she took the rough animal skin into her hands. The feel brought back old memories. One which her stomach was not ready to harbor. She knew this day would come eventually, and even now, she was not sure she was prepared for it. Her final assignment on earth was here. It was time for her to leave everything she had worked for and venture into the main purpose for which she had left the comfort of England. It was sudden. She was not ready yet. She was not…

“Please my queen.” One of the girls said and went on her knees. “My name is Jidenna and this is my friend, Ugomma. We have searched the forest, the valleys, and every corner of the earth. It took a miracle to bring us here. My people need your powers. I need your powers to avenge my father’s death. Please, my queen, help me.”

Mary blinked at the sound of the girl’s voice and a tear rolled down the side of her cheeks. Nothing lit the room but the deem candle, yet she could see that glint in the girl’s eyes. She had the same look as her father, and the broad cheeks were too obvious.

“Did you say, avenge? Is Ferdinand dead?”

Jidenna shared a confused look with his friend. “My queen.” He bowed, “I said, avenge. But Ferdinand? No. Who in the world of our ancestors is that?”

“It is your father, girl, that’—.” Mary was saying before Godson cut in.

“Actually, instructor. This one is a boy.”

“Oh” Mary nodded, “anyway. Ferdinand is the name we gave to the man who bore this parchment.”

“You mean my father is Ferdinand?” The boy asked, still confused, “How did it happen? How had he ventured this far into the east? What are you hiding from me?”

Mary took the Jide's hands and his eyes dilated when she helped him to his feet.

“I was hoping this day would not come, but since it is here. I will tell you everything. We would start from the time when Maduka walked into our prayer meeting and how he was baptized with the name Ferdinand. But first, I think you need to shower. You smell like roasted garbage."