CHAPTER 46

"This is the end of the road," Jide said and turned his attention to the girl. "I think it is time you head back to the village before your father notices your absence" 

"And I still think this is a bad idea," Adaku muttered, speaking for the first time since they left the village.

The cloud of darkness had wrapped their teenage features, leaving the tongue of fire from the torchlight to lead the way. It was only a few hours since they left the village, yet the awkward silence seems to have stretched to eternity. With the increasing fog of darkness that hazed the parameter, Adaku could only guess how far she was from the walls of the palace. This was the first time she had risked traveling without the shoulders of the palace bodyguards. What will her father say? 

"We've discussed this before, Ada. This is the only way. You know it is,"

"I don't, Jide." Adaku frowned, "This is absurd. How can you return to that enemy village? That's the reason why all these happened at first." It pained her that Jide was not listening. He was a wood head and would do as he pleased until it finally got him into trouble.

"I wish I could convince him," Ugomma said as if reading the princess's thoughts. She had jumped down from the ostrich and was patting its neck. 

"Please, Jide." Adaku averted her gaze from Ugomma, "Going back to that village will not help anyone. Worse still, it will give our people the leverage they've been looking for. They would use this to justify the reason why they killed your father" 

"And you think I am their friend at the moment?" The fire on the torchlight blazed as Jide raised them over his head, to look at the girl properly. "They killed my father, Ada. They killed my people and my mother was burnt alive on a stake. Is that how you treat a friend? Tell me, Ada"

Adaku brushed her hands on her animal skin. There was sweat on her brow now. Jide was right and she knew it. Admitting the fact was even more arduous. How could she? It was all her father's scheme. He had destroyed everything the boy held dear. He had destroyed Jide's trust and home. And his peace too.

"She is only trying to help, Jide." Ugomma said and patted Jide's shoulders, "I guess you two will need privacy." She chuckled and walked further into the sandy path, disappearing into the night.

"You've helped me enough," Jide whispered. "I owe you my life,"

Adaku thought he had spoken in a low tone on purpose, but the tears rolling down his cheeks said otherwise.

"You are a good friend, Ada, and will make a good queen one day. You still suck at being a princess though." He laughed and wiped his cheeks, "Thank you for your help. This debt I will pay someday. But this cross is on me, and I must carry it alone."

"Not like this, not this way. Of all the places, Jide, why this path? Why find solace among these people?"

Jide bites his lips as he struggles with the question. Maybe he had not thought of that part. Maybe he was just acting based on instincts and grief. Perhaps, the agony was the grease track to his decisions and actions.

"Because…" he rubbed his eyes, "because I think there is a reason why my father worked with them, I must find out why. The truth is what I seek. Sometimes in the past, I have heard some rumors. They say my father is an…"

He broke off as the pain took his words.

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me," Adaku's stomach bounced on her chest as she closed the gap between them. She had her fears. It was the same fear that had prompted her into doing her research regarding the dispute between the two villages.

According to the story, the neighboring village had found comfort in the abode of the gods during a plague some hundred years ago. While that had protected them from the plague, it had bound them forever to the shrine. They became people of the Oracle, dedicated to spending their lives in servitude. They were not freeborn like the rest. They belong to the gods or what one could call, an Osu (outcast). Since the Amadi (freeborn) and the Osu (outcast), do not associate, it explains the reason why her people, the people of Umudike, wanted the neighboring village gone. They wanted to wipe every Osu (outcast) that lives on the earth.

The piece that was hard to place however was the reason why the king had killed Jide's father and family. That part was the odd piece. A part of the puzzle that was making her head throb.

"If you will not listen to me, perhaps let me come with you, let me make amends of what my father and the people had done to you and your family."

"Only the rat that eats the poison first dies first. My vengeance is not to you, Ada. And I can't let you walk into the village of Utaku with me. The people there would kill you once they see your face. Unlike me that is insignificant, you are way too popular to go undetected."

Again that was true and Adaku hated it. She hated that Jide was smart and was several steps ahead of her.

"Fine," She nodded and yanked roughly, the necklace on her neck. "I want you to have this, it's a dragon's fang, given to me on my fifth birthday by a kind merchant and friend of the palace. It's the only true possession I have."

Jide remained speechless as he lowered his head and she tied the necklace around his neck.

"Stay safe, Jide, I will see you someday, on a good term."

Jide grinned at the girl.

"You know tradition says it's uncultured for a girl to give gifts to a boy unless they are betrothed? It makes me wonder if you are invariably trying to woo me to yourself."

Adaku laughed.

"I will see you someday, my friend." She said and planted a soft kiss on the side of his cheeks.