CHAPTER 21

“What nonsense. Who gave this dog the right to speak in this gathering?” Ichie Echefu stood, giving no thought to his wooden stool that flew backward. More crease covered his brow, and the skin under his jaw twitched. All those anger. All those hate. Were they for Jide alone or was the man using this as leverage? “How dare you speak to your elders with such insolence? Ara ana apugi (are you mad)?"

Jide looked away, knitting the helm of his pelt with his fingers. He wished he could tell the man to go and wash his filthy mouth in the river, but that would only give him a bad name. Pride is the grease track to the hands of failure, his father normally says.

Jide was willing to follow his father's instructions. Out of respect. For all he could tell, Ichie Echefu was nothing but a wealthy old fool. He was prominent among the people. He was one of the wise men whom the villagers bow to, especially when the king was off duty. It was a dangerous game. Yes. A very dangerous one. But right now, what goes on was far beyond anyone in the room. It was bigger than them, adult or not, they can only beat the other village if they work together. That was the only way to win this war. The only way to save lives.

“Sit down, sit down right now," Maduka said. His head was swelling with outrage and the heat in his gaze pricked Jide's skin, almost driving out his spirit. Jide had seen those looks before. Nothing pleasant. 

Reluctantly, he returned to his seat, muttering the resentment. If anyone should be forced back on their seat, it should be Ichie Echefu. The man was blind by his wealth. Not that he would fight in the wars himself.

Jide hissed but his frown deepened when he read the expression on his father's face. Even though the man had not said it, Jide could see it hovering all over him. That disappointment. It was as if his father wanted him gone. Far away from him. Anywhere but this place.

Looking away, Jide yanked roughly the loose thread on his animal skin. He had crossed the rubicon this time and his father was going to deal with him, even before the king hung his head on a spike.

Tufia. Children of nowadays." Ichie Echefu weighed on Jide, daring him to speak, "Is this how you insult your elders? Will you ever find peace in your husband's home when you get married?"

"I am not a girl" Jide snapped and met the older man's eyes.

Ichie Echefu hugged himself as if cold. He was angry, but the surprise in his eyes was all too obvious. The likes of Jide often do not cross his path.

“I am not a girl. I am a boy." Jide repeated and broke his gaze with the man, opting to obey the 'toe talking' tricks his father had taught him.

A small silence passed among them, with Ichie Echefu still trying to regain the shock. His daughter had brought back his seat and was sticking out her tongue at Jide in defense, for insulting her father.

Obinigwe (Heaven dwellers)” Ichie Echefu hissed and dragged his stool but dropped his cap on them. Turning back he said, "Maduka, are you certain this child is your blood?”

Maduka slammed his hand on his lap and jerked from his seat. “And what is that supposed to mean? Are you accusing my wife of infidelity?”

“Who wouldn’t,” Echefu chuckled, “I mean, take a look at that child. There is no resemblance, in words and attitude, and certainly not in appearance.”

“Igwe!” Maduka called. His hands were resting on his belt, and for the first time that day, Jide saw the sword that was hidden under the man's waist. His father was angry, and the respect for the king was the only thing preventing him from drawing out his sword and attacking Ichie Echefu. A closer look too and one would see the blush of embarrassment that also rounded his cheeks.