CHAPTER 49

It took an eternity for the light of the sun to break over the horizon. She had waited for it, like a wolf, waiting to pounce on their prey, but it had delayed long enough for her anger to diminish. Plus, her husband had not returned. He had stayed with her sister and now the group was about to leave for the hunt without them. What on earth was he doing? Was he safe?

Nneamaka yawned and stretched herself. It was time to play her card and if she was not careful enough, her plans were going to shatter even before they came to limelight. 

She tried picking the mattress but ended up breaking the loose ends of the animal skin, ruining the material. She hissed and dropped it only to curse when she accidentally knocked her water skin, spluttering the content on the dusty floor. Her attempt to save what water was left in the container was useless as the dust seemed to gulp everything. Her frown deepened, knowing that there was no way she and her husband was going to survive the wild without water unless they miraculously found a stream or a watermelon on the way, and a miracle, in this case, was far from their reach.

“You can have mine.”

Nneamaka turned in the direction and her eyes widened when she saw the extended hands and the water skin.

“I have extra. You and your husband can share this.” Ejima shrugged and gave her a weak smile, “I am not sure it will be enough, but it will go a long way.”

“Are you sure we can…Thanks,” Nneamaka stammered and took the water skin reluctantly.

“It’s nothing,” Ejima said and turned to leave.

“Wait.”

Ejima turned back, there was a surprise in her bright eyes. A surprise which she didn’t bother to hide.

“But why?” Nneamaka asked. “After everything I have done to you. Why this? Why act as if you are not hurt?” The question was forthright and any other day, Nneamaka would have regretted it. But not today. She was surprised and on edge at the same time. Ejima must have something in her sleeve. She must be planning something dangerous, perhaps to win back Uche’s heart. If that was her plan then she needed to work hard, because there was no way Nneamaka was going to let Uche slip away from her fingers. 

“Just helping, but that doesn’t mean I am not hurt. Unless you think I am an alien.”

“Strange,” Nneamaka mumbled and stared at the water skin. Has Ejima poisoned the water? She must have done something. There was no way a human being would be this meek and humble, especially when they are trampled upon. Ejima must be planning something evil.

“You remain my best friend.” Ejima breathed out. “And I forgive you. It’s still hard to forget, but I forgive you. That’s a start I think.”

Like a flash, Nneamaka saw the sadness as they flared in Ejima’s eyes. It didn’t last long and was gone even before she could blink. Ejima was passing through hell, yet she still has the guts to harbor kindness within her broken status? It was unimaginable but expected. The woman was more predictable than Nneamaka had imagined.

“I should be the one asking for forgiveness,” Nneamaka said, suddenly feeling sorry for the woman. Maybe her words were genuine. Maybe Ejima had not poisoned the water. Maybe she was still the best woman in the kingdom. “After everything I did. I should be the one on my knees.”

Ejima chuckled and wiped her eyes. That was when Nneamaka saw the tears. The woman’s attempt to keep them from flowing did little. It was like a stream and even before Nneamaka could realize what was happening, she saw herself crying also.

“You are perfect for him. All this while I have been selfish. But now I just realized that Uche was best for you. And those smiles on your face whenever you two are together always leave me wondering if getting married to him was a mistake initially. I should have let love play the card instead of jumping to conclusions.”

“I am so sorry,” Nneamaka said and wrapped her arms around the woman. It was unexpected and it took some time for Ejima to return the hug.

After all these years of heartbreak and difficulties, who could have guessed that they would one day stand like this, together, in the arms of each other and pouring out their hearts and emotions. They might not have the perfect relationship, but the broken piece, however shattered, was all they needed to make the piece whole again. Their bond was powerful, more powerful than that of a sister’s and that must be the reason why they had been attracted even after all the huddles.

The world passed by as they seemed to be the only thing that existed in the forest. Some of the hunters were calling them, but neither of the two paid any attention. They just stood in their tears, glued by their emotions and drowned in the failures of their past mistakes. If only they had the power to change the hands of time, perhaps they would have done things differently and in the right way.

Time flew and by the time they finally peeled away from each other, the rest of the hunters had dispatched, leaving the two standing alone.

“Best of friends,” Nneamaka said, smiling weakly.

“You remembered,” Ejima chuckled. She turned behind and realized just then that the rest of the hunters had left them.

“We don’t need them,” Nneamaka whispered and took her hands, “We need us. We would do this together, like old times.”

“Like old times,” Ejima nodded but the leaves that were crushed under the weight of something, from the right hand of the forest, got their attention. However, their curiosity eased out when they saw the braided hair.

“My world,” Nneamaka laughed and hurried into Uche’s arms. She kissed him hard, so hard that they were panting when they finally pulled away, “I was worried sick, where have you been?”

“Making inquiries,” Uche said but his brow furrowed when he saw Ejima.

“She is with us now, and we can do this together,” Nneamaka added.

The man was not convinced but did not argue, instead, he walked past Ejima and gathered their mattress and blanket.

“I have found the way,” He muttered, “I know where the ijele masquerade is.”