CHAPTER 41

Counting his fingers did not work, so Jide kept track of time by paying attention to the cocks, whose voices were announcing the break of dawn. He had given up sleep since the princess brought him here and that was because his racing heart would not let his body relax. The guards might be looking for him; it was hard to tell. But Jide hopes they would not find him. Deep down, he prayed he had left no evidence or sign for the palace guards to track. He couldn't imagine what they would do to him if they find him here. And this place was comfortable, but for the...

Jide stood and dusted the straw from his body, trying to keep down the nauseating feeling. The straws were old and soaked with urine that could almost draw tears from the eyes. Looking at them, Jide could not help the thought of the decaying antelope his father had shot dead some months back. If someone had told him otherwise, he would have argued with them, but now, he was not sure. Were there no servants in the kingdom, or was the king so focused on killing his enemies to care about the enemy of the stomach? Was he too foolish to ignore the enemy within?

Jide scratched his nose, wondering how he had survived the last few hours in this choking pong. The ceiling and the walls were still intact and if one listened carefully, they could almost hear the walls begging to be cleaned. Jide's father would never leave their goathouse so messed up, not while livestock like goats, was one of the family's basic income.

"You are awake." 

Jide sneezed twice before lifting his head to the princess. She was standing akimbo with those high shoulders that were supposed to intimidate commoners. The beads that covered her head were almost competing with blood for redness and that jewelry? Jide wiped his eyes, making sure he was not dreaming. Metals were expensive, that was why most women settled for wooden ornaments to add more lustra to their beauty. But pieces of jewelry? By the heavens, those would cost a fortune if not an entire household's yearly income.

"Good morning to you too," Jide muttered.

"I hope you slept well?"

"Like a baby, as you can see," Jide said, not bothering to hide the smirk. 

It was true that the girl had helped him escape, but she shouldn't forget in a hurry how they had killed his father. She would be a fool to think he would bury the hatchet just like that. He must avenge his father, but first, he must find that white Queen his father had talked about. Maybe the Queen would endow him with spiritual powers that would help him complete his quest for vengeance. 

"I couldn't sleep either," Adaku said and stroked the edge of her expensive earrings. "Overhead the anger in my father's voice yesterday when he noticed you've disappeared."

"Wait, they've found out?"

"Of course. My father has dispatched the palace guards into every corner of the village. If my guess is correct, the search would continue until the new yam festival or until my father is convinced that you are no longer within his reach."

"I should have run away last night," Jide hissed and sat back on the straw giving no care to the goat's waste, "By now, I would have been as far as Umualanta village. But you advised otherwise, now see the result."

"Is that tears in your eyes? Wipe it off quickly, because I am not tolerant enough to babysit you or anyone."

"I am not a child."

"Then stop acting like one," The Princess said. The sudden noise from the wooden gong made her look over her shoulders, towards the vast vegetation that spread all over the place. It seemed to be coming from the palace, but it didn't last as it died down almost immediately. "If you've risked traveling last night, the guards would have found you."

"Oh, I see. You think nobody would find me within the palace?"

"Exactly." The princess averted her gaze from the bush, "Hide a prey in the predator's den."

Jide's eyes widened. "Incredible. That's the most reasonable thing you've ever said."

"I beg your pardon. Have you paid attention to any word I have ever said?"

"Yes. But you see, my ear is hypersensitive. I am allergic to foolish talk and you are full of them."

"Ingrate," the princess muttered and looked away. "I know I will regret doing this."

"I hope you will," Jide chuckled as he walked in her direction. He was some strides away before Adaku threw a fresh pair of clothes at him. 

"You smell. Change into that before I throw up."

"Thanks," Jide said, brushing his hands on the smooth clothing. "The skin is strong"

"That's because it was made directly from a lion's skin. Mother bought them for my training. Turns out I am not an aficionado of swords."

"No way," Jide's eyes widened as he studied the princess.

She didn't look at him and continued to rummage through the bag hanging on her shoulder. There were pieces of jewelry too, similar to those on her ear and neck. Somewhere, he thought he saw the Uri, and some other colored pencils which he didn't know existed.

"First, this is a female's clothing and there is no way I am wearing them. Secondly, what in the heck are you doing?"

The princess lifted her head and studied him for some time. Her eyes were beautiful, and as they walked about him, Jide could not help shifting his weight from one foot to the other. Any other day, he would have mocked the princess for moping, but today, he couldn't explain the sudden heat that started burning on his cheeks. No girl has ever stared at him like that, and certainly not one from a royal lineage.

"This would be fun," Adaku said and suddenly burst with a pearl of laughter.

"What's so funny?" Jide asked. The flush on his cheeks was beginning to peel into embarrassment.

"You of course." The princess said, still struggling to keep down the laughter, "It wouldn't be bad seeing you dressed like my female servant."

"I will never disguise in a female's clothing. That's not what warriors do."

"Warriors?" The Princess giggled, "True warriors do everything they need to do to stay alive. Staying alive should be your priority at the moment, and the only way for you to do that is to do as I say."

"No way," Jide bit his lips, "This can't be. I will not do this. Besides, what if your father sees me? What will happen to my head? No. I must find my mother and run away."

"Of course you will run away. But you have to wait. Eyes are searching for you. One wrong move and your precious head would hang on the Crimson pole. Nwe Ndidi (patience)"

Jide's stomach churned at the sound of that. The horrid picture drove sudden sickness through his taste bud. If he was going to die, he would die with honor, either in a battle or with the sword in his hands. He would rather die by the sword of an enemy than be disgraced by the king.

"Two days. Two days of playing your card and I am off," He said, looking at the princess.

"Four days," 

"Two."

"No, four days. Do you think it's in your place to bargain? In case you don't know, your life is at stake. And if you are not careful..."

Jide waited for her to complete the statement, but instead, she returned her attention to the bag. Maybe she wanted to warn him, not to follow in the footsteps of his father, Jide was not sure. But if that were to be the case, then she perhaps was pouring water on a stone, because he would have his revenge, however fate wants to toss his life.

"Fine, four days it is," Jide said and started pulling off his old clothes, but he stopped when he caught the princess staring.

"Oh," She scratched her head and stood up, "I will wait for you," she said and walked away.