CHAPTER 25

He held up his snuff-box and taped the edge, hoping to get the content into a homogenous mixture. It was not among the best in the kingdom, but he had decided to give it a trial, partly because Ume had persuaded him that the snuff was the real thing in the seven villages. The other part was the shrill fact that the man was his father-in-law. He had married three of Ume's daughters and while they were still being trained to fit into the court’s way of life, Bozo had agreed to buy Ume’s snuff. Out of sympathy than willingness. This was not their first deal of course. He had patronized the man before, a long time ago, and it was a blunder Bozo was not willing to repeat, not while there were still good palm wine tappers across the district. Bozo hoped the man’s snuff was better than his wine, or else, he would consider Ume as a man who only knows how to bring forth children and nothing more.

Bozo frowned as he uncorked the cover lid. The content in the wooden box looks nothing like a snuff. He has never seen a red snuff before and whoever had ground the tobacco had done a bad job. There were large lumps of different types and sizes, poking out their heads as if daring him to stick them into his nose and find out what happened.

The gods forbid I use this. Ume is a fool. Bozo rubbed his nose with irritation as his penchant for routine tobacco dwindled. Even now, he knows that there was nothing he could do to satisfy that addictive stinging sensation at the back of his nose. It was too early to send the messenger to find him a new snuff. Besides, this was the proposed attack day. His presence was needed here. If he leaves to get the snuff himself, the troops might assume that he had sent them off to die while he retires to the comfort of his house. And he has waited so long for this day. This was his moment of glory. The day to rewrite the history of the kingdom.

And my father-in-law has decided to ruin it. Bozo replaced the cover lid and dropped the snuff box on the bench. Maybe he would teach the man a lesson. Father-in-law or not, the man deserves to be punished. At least to send a message to other men across the land.

“My Lord,”

Bozo raised his head to the feet and the voice of the man that came running in his direction. Well-built and a fine-looking man. The best fighter in his rank too.

“You must be hunted by a horde of demons.”

The man only smiled at Bozo’s sarcasm but the beams on his face started to fold when he tried to damp the sweat with the back of his hands.

“A big demon if I may say. They have made me dance before my kinsmen, that's why my heels have not hastened before your majesty in vain.”

Bozo rubbed his nose with irritation and let the side of his eyes study the wooden snuff box again. For some fleeting instant, it felt as though the mucous in his nostril would block every morning air that came rushing in. 

I should have made provision to get a good snuff instead of pinning my hopes on that useless father-in-law.

“Is my lord okay?”

Bozo returned his gaze to the man kneeling before him, with his right knees to the floor and his right hands over his chest as if trying to cup his heart.

“Nothing to worry about. Just that, I need the black powder. I can hardly think straight.”

“Oh, I was hoping you wouldn't ask. But I got you covered.” The man smiled. He deepened his hands into the purse, strapped on his waist, and brought out a wooden box, similar to the one beside Bozo.

“My lord can have mine. Not the best, but powerful enough to soothe your palate.”

Bozo snatched the box from the man’s hands and started driving tones and tones of the black powder into his nose, with his thumb.