CHAPTER 42

The drummers and their music took the lead again, with the old women dancing in circles, following the Diviner who was behind the King’s guards and the warriors of the village. The palanquin of leaf and wood danced with the sack clothes of the hefty men who had rings, going through their nose and ears. There were six of them, dark-skinned and with scars all over their body. Each side of the palanquin held some white wool, looking sleek and smooth, it was hard to tell which animal skin it was. And, this was the first time Jide had seen a royal palanquin. It also made him wonder why the princess had decided to ride on an ostrich instead of joining the family in their ostentation of wealth, power, and prestige. Well, maybe she was different from her father. Maybe she was not as foolish as Jide had presumed initially.

Golden glows herald the gentle wind that came rushing in. It was comforting. The heat was by no means backing down and the afternoon might last for another six to eight hours. He had everything ready. The princess had suggested he came along with the few clothes and the supplies she had brought him. They would sneak out of the kingdom at night when the guards were drunk and merry.   

“But, this is too tight” Jide shifted the turban on his head, trying to find peace from the scorching heat and dust, “When did I agree to this?” 

“Just stay calm, ingrate, it will only last till evening. And after that, you can run away from here. But you have to remain calm.”

“Ingrate? Wait, you christened my name?”

“Yes dear, and you can thank me later. Now remain quiet before the servants hear your whine” 

Crazy princess. Jide grimaced and switched the basket to the other hand. 

“You said something?” The princess asked.

“No, just talking to myself,” Jide snorted. 

He had refused to see his reflection after the princess had to disguise him like her female servant, and had spent about fifteen minutes laughing at how well she had mastered her makeup skill. She was more irritating than he had thought and every time he felt they were becoming acquainted; the girl always had a way of provoking him. Anyway, it was just a matter of time. He would be long gone after this procession. He would find the White Queen and avenge the death of his father. That way, he would satisfy the hate that was pleading for blood.

But what about the princess, what would happen if you killed her father? A voice asked in his head. Jide rubbed his nose and pulled up the shawl, wanting to keep the dust from reaching him. He had no answer to that question yet. It was going to come eventually, but he didn't have them at the moment.

The ostrich which the princess sat on, made her tower some head length away from him. Even though he could hardly see her face from the veil she wore, the amusement in her voice was all the confirmation he needed. She was enjoying his misery, every single bit of it. 

Jide shrugged. This was the only way to keep his identity in ghost mode. The King would dispatch his guards by sundown, just as the custom of the people was. During a sacred period like this one, everyone was supposed to remain with their family. It was a tradition among the people and would be the best way for Jide to escape from the village without detection. And since the new yam festival would continue to the next day, nobody would bother themselves to search for him.

“Hey.” 

The sudden whisper made Jide turn his head towards his right. The people that followed behind them were shouldering themselves to keep their feet on the ground, but they maintained a good distance from the princess and her servants. It was out of fear rather than respect. Nobody would like to incur the wrath of the king, not on a festive period as this one.

Jide struggled with the numerous faces for some time, until he saw the bright eyes, looking towards his direction. He looked the other way immediately, hoping she had not spotted him. 

But what’s she doing here?

Jide held up the shawl. If Ugomma was here, that means that her father, Ichie Echefu, was also here. And since the man hated him, it would be detrimental if he allowed the man’s daughter to see through his disguise. She would report him to her father, and that in itself would not be a good sign for him.

“I need to talk to the princess,” Ugomma whispered from behind. She has not called his name, which means that she hadn't noticed him just yet.

Jide did not know how the girl had managed to walk up the first row amid the struggling people, and he was not ready to find out either. One wrong move and Ugomma would notice him. Just one silly move and he would end up dead like his father.

“I would like to switch positions with that servant,” Jide said, pointing at the girl on the other hand of the road, who was laughing and singing at the same time.

The princess looked down at him and when Jide thought she was going to argue, the princess muttered to the servant and she left her position to where Jide was.

Jide breathed in, glad that Ugomma would not have a chance this time. He tightened his fist on the basket, hoping to relax his tensed muscles. But the comfort he seeks was far fetched at the moment. 

The music of the drummers had changed and the tone was almost similar to the one he had heard the night his father had died. Jide tried to ignore it but his bones began to boil when he saw the people tied on the stake just some strides away from the Diviner’s shrine. There were three of them hanging upside down and stripped naked to the skin, ready to be burned to ash.

“is that,” Jide's heart stopped and the world slowed when he saw his mother.

Like three tied to the stake, his mother was hanging upside down, naked and pleading for her life.

Jide screamed or so he thought, for he could barely hear his voice. His heart was also racing and the hot eyes made his vision hazy. What was going on? Why was his mother tied upside down to a stake and naked? Jide wanted to ask, but the words would not form. He blinked and the tears fell out like a pool. This was not happening?

The procession had ceased and the voices of the people continued to rise over the scorching heat. The diviner was standing beside his mother now and before Jide could blink again, the woman directed the dagger with a flash, towards his mother’s heart.