CHAPTER 36

“Another servant leaving?”

Adaku didn’t turn to the voice of Rudima which came from the other end of the door. She fastened her long hair instead and tried to bundle them up in a way that would hide her ear and leave the back exposed. But that was harder than she thought.

“Need help with those?”

"I am fine, mother" 

"Of course you are, but the shaking fingers don't lie."

Adaku clenched her fist, hating herself for always giving out an outward sign whenever she was angry. Her mother knew her too well, and hiding stuff from her was becoming difficult.

"Let go," the older woman said as she tapped the princess's shoulder and began the finger work on the dark hair.

Ada wanted to protest, she wanted to be left alone with her thoughts, but that would be difficult. Not with her mother who would not stop until she has every piece of information at the tips of her finger.

“The gods have been merciful to me and have blessed you with long hair. I always wanted one myself.”

“You shouldn’t,” Adaku switched her weight uneasily. “These servants would run you mad, every minute and every single day.” 

Rudima laughed and continued polishing her daughter's hair with the blending oil. The rays of the sun were hiding on the other side of the earth, but Adaku could make out the smiles that were etched on the face of her mother as they reflected poorly on the little calabash of water which was before her.

“Eleven years and you have not changed,”

“Twelve,” Adaku corrected.

“Not until the six full moons,” Her mother smiled. She uncorked the jelly oil from the wooden can, and rubbed them through Adaku’s hair, leaving them glossy and alluring. “Your father would be proud of your leadership spirit.”

Adaku rolled her eyes.

"Please don't tell me you came here to remind me of my misery"

"What!" Rudima chuckled, "Of course not."

Adaku was not convinced. Her mother rarely visits her, not while there are servants to do all her bidding.

"I am not going to Ukonta village. I will not marry that stupid prince."

Rudima paused as if surprised by her daughter's words.

"That was a blunt statement, and a bold one too. But you should know the state of the kingdom. Everything is diplomacy, that's how it has always been."

"Poor me," Adaku snorted with irritation. She really wished her mother would let her be, "it had been an obligation all along. I thought I had a choice."

"Well," Rudima shrugged and continued braiding the hair, "When you are drowning in an ocean of politics, you either fight your way through or let the wave wash your corpse offshore. The choice is yours."

Ada remained silent. She would have loved to argue, but that would only leave her with irritation. Her father had decided for her and it would be swimming against the current if she tries to resist.

"What do you think?" Rudima aske

Despite the resentment, Ada couldn't help but smile when she saw her reflection on the water. Rudima had added the missing piece. She had braided Ada's hair into a single whole and had added some red and white beads to create a single line on the center of her head, contrasting with the Uri that went down to her lips.

“You are a genius, mom,” Adaku said.

“Just an old trick I learned some years ago” Her mother chuckled and lit the lamp. She hung it on the stand and started washing her hands on the wooden bowl whose bottom was buried on the clay. “I will find you a better servant. One that is skilled and with a good spirit”

“I really…” Adaku trailed off when a loud sound suddenly blared through the fallen night. She has heard the sound of a horn before, but not as loud. This one had strength in them and seemed to be delivering a message in a language Adaku was not conversant with.

“He did it.” Rudima whispered and rested her hands on her chest, "he did it"

“Did what?” Adaku jerked from her seat, confusion, and fright written in her eyes, “Did what, mama?”

As if in answer to her question, one of the palace guards hurried into the room. He had no weapon on his side and had not knocked, which was odd, but the strangest thing was that the guard was smiling. For the first time in her life, Adaku actually saw a palace guard smiling.

“The King is back,”

“In good health?” Rudima asked and the guard nodded.

Adaku found the question funny, but her stomach fell when the smiles on the guard’s face suddenly disappeared as if they had never been formed.

“He is alive. But not without injury.”

“That’s enough,” The queen nodded, not bothering to hide the relief that leaked through her face.

“What’s with the loud horn and the music?” Adaku asked. "Can someone tell me what's going on?"

“Oh, about that,” The man said and his face widened with a broad smile, “We’ve won a war for the first time in history, without bloodshed.”

“Amazing,” The queen examined, “Adaku, your father did it. He is a true king”

“And the music you hear?” The palace guard continued, “It is a message to the elders. The King did not just win the war. He has captured the spies of the enemy,”

“What spy,” It was the queen who asked.

“Maazi Maduka.” The palace guard said.

“By the heavens,” Rudima's eyes dilated, “Maduka? A spy? How can that be?”

“It is still hard to believe,” The guard nodded, and even though he tried to conceal it with a sudden cough, Adaku could see the delight that was lingering in his eyes. Whatever be the reason, she was not ready to meddle with adult issues. After all, she still has to put on makeup properly if she wants to attend the moon party.

Sitting down, she returned her attention to the water which was revealing her reflection poorly.

“You said, spies,” The queen asked, “Who else was with him?”

“Oh, that’s the fun part.” The guard laughed, “Who else if not that little rascal that has been causing so much havoc in the village?”

“Jide?” The queen screamed.

Adaku paused as the familiar name hit her ears. She struggled with her thoughts for some time and immediately, the face of the boy appeared in her mind's eyes. It was hard to place the feeling, but deep down, there was a surge of sweet sensation that traveled from her stomach, spreading through her body and bringing a wide smile on the side of her lips. She still remembered the first time she had met Jide, and how he had insulted her to her face. Well, he has gotten what he deserves. Time to pay for his mischief.

Ada’s face widened, this time, it was not just with a smile, but a glee of gratifying bloom…