CHAPTER 5

The spark came from his fingers or was it his body? No, perhaps his soft lips were the force that was electrifying her, gulping her strength and leaving her moaning like a helpless child. He was a beast in the face of battle. She had seen him fight one or two times. But in bed, the story was different. His touch was as tender as the fur of a day-old chick and even though she had tried to master them, she always fell victim to this perpetual ecstasy that words can hardly express.

“I wish I had you all along,” Nneamaka breathed in deeply as he caged her in his strong but tender grip.

“Hmm, so romantic. Boredom would have killed us right before your late husband did. Besides, I have always been here. You were just too blind to notice me.”

There he goes again, always with the habit of ruining the flawless moments. Nneamaka frowned and peeled away from him. It was a reluctant effort and even as she created a slight distance between them, she could hear the silent words that were yelling at the back of her head, urging her to remain put, to enjoy every moment. But she ignored the voice. She needed to prove a point. She needed to show him that she was in charge. As long as they were together. This was her turf, and she knows how best to play the game.

“Notice you? By the heavens, you are unbelievable,” Nneamaka said as she folded her hands on her breast and returned to a sitting position,  “am I the one who ran off and got married to that wretched fool? Biko gwam (please tell me)”

She could not see his face, not with the halo of darkness that crowned the world and roof. She could only feel his hot breath on her neck, and it took all the discipline in her not to wrap her hands on him and drown herself in that ocean where his feelings were all that mattered.

“Guilty as charged,” he said, “but you also got tangled didn’t you?”

“that marriage was a mistake. Besides, whose fault was it?” Nneamaka asked as she brushed his comforting arms away from her shoulders, “why don't you return already? That’s what you are good at. Running and never looking back. You don’t even care about me, or your children” 

“Hey,” the bamboo bed groaned in protest as he sat up, “we have been through this before. Let’s forget the past. I played the fool, I admit. But that’s the past. I promise to remain here with you, no matter the intensity of the sun or storm.”

“Eh?” Nneamaka muttered. Her face was heating now, probably turning red. But the darkness was a blessing. It was thick enough to blend their features.

“I give you my word.” His deep voice echoed again. “I will always be here, no matter what” The bed cried in agony as he pushed his weight forward.

“Swear it,” Nneamaka said, tugging her luck, “Swear it by the name of Amadioha”

The bamboo bed lamented again as he adjusted his weight. This was one of those moments Nneamaka wished they were not totally covered by darkness. And the silence. The silence that had walloped them was heart-aching, and every part of her yearns to see the expression on his face. It was an audacious move, one which she had been careful to take. Warriors and Men of Valor are known to be bound by their words. A thing of honor some have argued. But in her case, it was her bait. A perfect trap.

“Why do you want me to swear?” he whispered.

“A sign of your fidelity, what else?" Nneamaka shrugged, “it's the only sign. Unless you don’t love me well enough”

“Of course I do” 

“Then swear it. Swear that we would always be together. For better for worse”

"If it makes you feel happy my dear, then I swear by the name of Amadioha. I swear that we will always be together."

"Good," Nneamaka nodded. Something crawled through the center of her stomach, a sweet sensation that could only pass as excitement. She had played the right tone, and like a blind fool, he was dancing to the melody. It was a melody whose beat would last for a very long time

"So, can we enjoy the rest of the night"

"Of course my dear," Nneamaka smiled and laid down, tracing his bare chest with her first finger. 

He murmured in delight and she could feel his hot breath on her neck as he closed the gap between them.

"Have you told her yet," she asked

He paused for a while, and when Nneamaka thought he would not reply, he said.

"Tomorrow. Or after the ceremony."

Nneamaka's smile widened. He wanted to say something again but she didn't let him. Instead, she cupped his face with her hands and made their lips meet. 

Everything was working smoothly.

This was easier than she thought