CHAPTER 51

Like every other day, the cloak of darkness had descended upon the earth, leaving the crickets to their song. The day before had been stressful for Adaku, all thanks to her father who would stop at nothing until he married her off into some village whose name she only got to know about five minutes ago. The queen had rejected the idea, and that was because of the distance from home. She would have preferred that Adaku remained within the sphere of the prominent villages around them. That way, they would not only monitor the marriage but also strengthen their political power. Five years ago, Adaku would have agreed with her mother. After all, the queen was just looking out for her wellbeing. But that was five years ago. Things have changed. She had changed. The once shy girl that would bow to every idea was now mature and would follow the path she deems fit. She was out for herself and not even her father’s decision could stop her.

She dropped the earrings on the basket and was about to take off the wristbands, when her eyes fell on the clothes, sitting on the foot of her bed. It was the same cloth she had used to disguise Jide, the day he had escaped from the village. 

The smile that plastered her lips made her pick the bundle into her hands. She sat on the bed and smelled it, hoping to get a feel of Jide. It’s been two years since he left the village to find the white queen. She has not heard from him—not that she expected to, since no one knows who the mystical white queen was. But a small part of her wished that he would find a way to send her a message, at least, something to convince her that he was still alive. 

She tightened her fist on the bundle and held it close to her chest. The fine eyes of Jide formed in her mind's eyes without effort. She could not forget his eyes, even though every other detail was fading away.

“Please come back soon,” She whispered.

The feeling was familiar, even though she had denied it. It had started the day she saw Jide. But she had kept it a secret, for his safety at least. It was taboo for a princess to be with a commoner. Such stories have never been heard in the history of Umudike.

Adaku took a long breath in and finally dropped the cloth by the side. Somehow, the fatigue in her muscle had disappeared and she could feel a sense of purpose flooding into her bones. If her father insists that she marry the man from Taxuz, then he would leave her with no choice but to run away from home. She was going to venture into the wild, and maybe, if a miracle existed, she might find Jide on the way.

The smile on her face broadened as she walked toward the only table in the room. There was a naked torch, burning away by the right, not far from her bedside. She was about to take off her necklace when the hoot of an owl suddenly froze her bones. Turning to the right, her heart skipped when she saw the bird, sitting on the window, with eyes glowing like the stars.

Fear gripped her as much as the meaning. Someone was about to die or was going to die this night, and the fear in her heart elevated when her thoughts went back to Jide. Was he in trouble? 

The answer to the question never came as her door burst open and her parents hurried into her room.

“Adaku, thank the gods you are safe,” the queen said and wrapped her hands around her.

“What’s going on?” Ada asked.

Neither of her parents gave their response. Her father only grabbed her wrist and started dragging her towards the back door.

“Father, stop, you are hurting me.” Ada cried, but the man was not paying attention. His eyes were glittering with the light and he smelled of sweat too.

“My lord,” Kalu—the king’s brother—was saying as he hurried into the room. “We have secured the palace, it wouldn’t hold for long. But it would buy time for you and your family to get to safety with the rest of the village.”

“I still think it’s a bad idea,” The king said, “You should come with me, you and the rest.”

“And let those barbarians slaughter us like chicken? Tufia.” Kalu spat, “I would rather die on my sword.”

“Can someone tell me what is going on?” Ada asked, and this time, she was glad to have their attention.

“Some evil men are on their way to destroy that which your father and I have built over the years,” Kalu said and took Adaku’s cheeks into his hands, “You are such a pretty face, and I am sorry that I would not be there to see your knight in shining armor.”

“But we have the army. We can still fight, uncle.”

Kalu gave her a weak smile, “swords and skill make the fiercest warriors, but knowing when to retreat, keeps them alive. A smart princess like you should know that.” Turning to the king, he said, “It’s a three days ride to Ame. I have sent the messenger ahead of you to announce your presence. We helped them once, and I know they would be glad to help us fight these Osu.”

Adaku rubbed her wrist as her father’s strong grip finally released her. She was on the verge of tears but kept it to herself. She was not going to show any signs of weakness in the presence of her parents, not now.

“I will hold them as long as I can,” Kalu whispered. 

The two brothers glued on themselves as they wept.

“I promise to come back with reinforcement. Can you hold the army for three days?”

Kalu peeled away from him and tightened his hands on his sword. “I can only play my part. But what fate has installed for us is beyond my control. But I pray you to live free my brother” 

The King gnashed his teeth and clapped Kalu's shoulders, "die well."

Kalu nodded. He turned a weak smile to Adaku before storming into the night, raining orders to the soldiers who were stationed outside.