CHAPTER 30

Hawk rested his hands on his sword, rolling on the floor and back to his feet, even before he could think of jumping off his saddle. Ji had run off to the other side of the forest, away from harm’s way. Hawk had not instructed it to wait behind, but the animal had lowered its head and was watching them from the corner of its eyes. Uneasiness was hanging on its shoulders yet it had stood its ground like always. It had waited for him, doing what it was trained to do. 

Hawk sucked his tongue with a little hint of remorse streaking the side of his heart. Ji’s devotion will never cease to amaze him. The animal had been nothing but faithful ever since King Bozo gave it to him. They had fought many battles together, some of which, Ji, had been directly or indirectly involved. The animal was a perfect friend, but on the other hand, Hawk doubts if he would do the same for the animal if kick comes to shove.

“Well, well,”

Hawk’s hands tightened on the hilt of his sword as the owner of the voice jumped out of his hiding place. 

Of all the people in the kingdom, Kalu was the last person he expected to stand in his way. The man was a weakling and had bought his way through their training seasons. He was no match for Hawk, not while the dance with the sword stands, not while spear and blade still yearn for blood. And those three lackeys standing beside him… 

Hawk snorted under his mask. Kalu had not donned his pomposity with one of those royal armors that designate authority and prestige. The loose ends of his sleeves piped him as a commoner and despite the muscle hanging on his shoulders, the weakness in his almond eyes was blazing like the anvil of a blacksmith.

“Should I be scared?” 

Hawk loosened his grip on his sword, wondering if he should confront the man or hurry off to warn King Bozo about the impending danger.

“You should be,” another voice said.

Jingles of silver and gold announced the King's presence as he walked out from his hiding place and stood beside Kalu. The two men were nothing alike. Even though they had taken the oath of brotherhood and had lived in oneness, Hawk could still see the dent hanging around their shoulders. They still keep secrets from themselves. However strong the oath of brotherhood could be, it was not powerful enough to merge two unwilling people, and in this case, it was a joke. King Nnaji and Kalu were perhaps bound because of the royal throne or for power and wealth. 

But what are they doing here? What is their plan? Could it be that they've been waiting for me? No, impossible. I have been careful in my dealings. There is no way they could have found out about my link with King Bozo.

“Fright should scare your spirit out of your body,” Nnaji added.

“Because of you?” Hawk laughed. “A hundred of you cannot stand me. I am the handmaid of the spirit. The wind that cuts through diamonds and draws tears from the eyes of the gods. A million of you will only slow me down. But stop me? Impossible.”

“Bag of words,” King Nnaji grunted “You are nothing but a cankerworm that is proud to live the life of its master, the butterfly. Aka akpala gi (you’ve been caught). You’ve played with the imps, now get ready to dine with the devil.” The King’s sword hissed as he drew it out from the scabbard.

“And I wonder who is behind that mask,” Kalu was saying, but Hawk did not hear. He had jumped to the side, dodging the three palace guards that had attacked him. They kept swinging their swords from side to side, but it was a weak blow. The blow of armatures who were seeking honor and glory in the presence of the king.

Hawk waited for the first guard and as he had predicted, the man thrust his long sword, hoping to bury the metal in Hawk’s abdomen. Stepping to the side at the last hour, the first guard’s sword fell freely through space. Hawk did not wait for the guard to recover, he quickly held the man’s head from behind and snapped his neck, feeling the cervical bones twist from their point of attachment.