CHAPTER 28

Nnaji stretched his hands to the right, just where the tubes of the sun's rays pierced the leaves of the forest and bashed down towards the earth in a cascade of intricate glow. He frowned as he perused his own shadow which had left the distance ahead and was coming behind him now, following the direction of the sun.

Telling time using shadows was something his father had taught him long before he was old enough to wear his first pelt. It was a custom in Umudike which every good parent imbibes in their children at a ripe age. Even though he had mastered the skill and could tell the exact time of the day with his shadow, Nnaji still finds it hard to distinguish how much time has passed between two events. Differentiating the morning from afternoon and evening was easy, but between those times, it was difficult to tell the exact hour in which an event had happened.

Nnaji returned his hands to his side. He never liked shadow time. It has so many flaws and errors in it compared to the time-glass, which the stories have talked about. The time glass was reserved for the wealthiest of all. Nobody in Umudike has seen one. It was a luxury, a legend that holds the people with so much awe and wonders. Rumor has it that the time glass was fashioned by the hands of the gods themselves and that such luxury was reserved for the purest of the pure. Well, Nnaji could not say for sure, but being born into the royal family has its advantages at least. He had met some men from the white Queen's land, whom he believes have seen the time glass. They have testified to his claims when he had asked, but none of them was rich enough to buy one for themselves.

"Are you sure they are still alive?" 

Kalu's hoarse voice made Nnaji shift his attention towards his direction. Like the rest of the crew, the dark man hid his features under the dry foliage which was some strides away from the main road. Kalu was not the one to worry. Not when his sword and might could break through any fortress and get him what he wants. He had grown in the palace too and was more like a family to Nnaji. They had grown together and had done everything like two Siamese twins. It was true that Kalu had lost his parents to disease and had been adopted by King Nanya, Nnaji's father. But notwithstanding the difference in background, the King had placed no restrictions between the two boys and for a time, Nnaji could hardly do anything without Kalu by his side. They had grown so fond of each other that the villagers had given them the label 'uto nwanne (the joy of brotherhood)'. 

"We can only hope. If our enemies see through the glamor and decide to kill the two boys, then we would switch over to the other plan."

"The other plan?" 

The alarm in Kalu's eyes made Nnaji shift his weight to compensate for the fatigue on his left hand.

"The gods forbid us to switch to that plan. This whole thing is bashing my head with confusion. The gods forbid we use that second plan. Chukwu aju (God forbid)."

"Why," Nnaji asked, "Do you have any other proposal that will help us win this war? You should state it now or forever hold your peace."

"Ah," Kalu scratched his unshaved beard, "Sometimes I forget you are the King of Umudike."

"Bravo" Nnaji looked away, "Until the day I hang you on the crimson pole for public display"

Kalu laughed. "Are you being serious right now?"

"I spoiled you with power," Nnaji whispered, "I should have listened to father."

"Deal with it, your majesty. You are stuck with me. Forever."

Kalu's words faded as Nnaji observed the empty road again. Like before, the road was bare and if he had not seen the two boys disappear through the distance, he would have sworn by the grave of his father that no one has traveled that road in ages.

"You are a strange one, brother."

Nnaji bit his under lips and returned his attention to the other man who had picked a grass blade and was chewing them as if he had not eaten for three days.

"Why that?" Nnaji asked.

"I still can't believe you placed the fate of our kingdom in the hands of a child."

"We've discussed this before," Nnaji rolled his eyes, "And I am not in a good mood to argue with you."

"Strange, brother, strange. But I am also curious. What did you see in that girl that makes you trust her so much?"

"Point of correction. Jidennaya is a boy and not a girl." Nnaji said as he lifted his weight to ease the stinging sensation on his elbow. He was sitting on the grass now, with his back facing the main road.

"About what I see in the child?" Nnaji breathed in. He had asked himself that question right from the moment he set his eyes on Jide. "I really cannot say much. But the boy reminds me so much about father. The way he talks and thinks. But for his girlish looks, the boy has the wisdom of Nanya, our beloved father."

"Hmm," Kalu picked his teeth with the grass, "You are the only one seeing that I guess. Because to me, that boy is anything but father. Do you see the way he talked to Ichie Echefu in the meeting of elders?"

"He was speaking the truth, Kalu."

"The truth you say?" Kalu shrugged, "That's why you and I are two different people. If I was the one sitting on the throne, I would have Jide punished for talking to an elder with such insolence."

"And then you would have subjected your Kingdom to King Bozo and his cohort. Don't forget how Jide has risked his life to save our old ass."

Kalu opened his mouth to speak but closed them almost immediately when they noticed the movement at the side of the forest. Ginika and Jide appeared, each trying to untie the wool and white hood that covered their powered skin.

"Speaking about the devil," Kalu chuckled.

Nnaji shook his head and hurried up to his feet. He was not going to argue with Kalu, not while the fate of the kingdom sits on a knife edge, waiting to be tilted to the other side of destruction and bloodshed.