CHAPTER 70

Navigating through the forest was not as easy as the masters had predicted. But that was partly due to the malfunctioning compass which had misled them twice. Goddison had taken charge after the third trial had failed. He was leading them now, through a path in the forest, trusting his nose and ears. Mary on the other hand had said fewer words since they departed four days ago. She had kept to herself, speaking only when spoken to. As usual, there was no age on her face, despite the scorching heat, her expression was plain, yet each time Jide looked in her direction, the woman was always muttering to herself. It was called prayer, Jide had learned from one of the masters, which made him wonder if the prayer is everlasting.

Five people had embarked on this journey, excluding Ugomma and Jide. The locale in the village had provided them with horses and supplies and had bid them farewell with the grace of God. Jide had made a few friends though, a man named Frances, and another Mr. Stones, who was as white as Mary but was not enduring the heat. His white skin kept turning red, and it looked as if he was going to melt under the scorching heat if an adequate measure is not taken.

"Hush," Goddison raised his hands and jumped down from his horse as precisely as he could. He motioned for the others to do the same, before walking up a hill on the right side of the road.

"Are you sure he knows what he is doing?"

"Quiet, Jide, at least we are still alive," Ugomma said, before looking with pity at Mr. Stones.

Jide held back the laughter and jumped down from his horse. Mr. Stones had led them before, and one time they had come face to face with a sea, but that was before they knew the compass was damaged.

"I sympathize with the good man. He shouldn't have traveled this far." Ugo frowned before looking away.

"Me too, Ugo. Too bad every mosquito in the forest wants to have a taste of his blood. This makes me wonder if his blood tastes differently, or perhaps better. Because I haven't felt any bite since God knows when."

"Why not find out?" Ugo smiled before tying the rein of her horse against a tree. She did the same for Jide and both of them followed the others, towards the hill where Goddison was waiting.

"You would have suffered if I were a mosquito," Jide added.

"Not if I crush your head first."

"Crush my head? I thought we are friends"

"Yes, but not a parasitic one."

"Parasitic?" Jide's eyes widened, "that's a big word, Ugo. Are you sure you know the meaning?"

"Of course, Goddison has been teaching me how to read."

"And you are just telling me? What other secrets are you hiding?"

"It's not a big deal," Ugomma whispered. She made to explain when a scream reverberated through the forest.

Goddison motioned them to hurry, but also urged them to remain quiet.

"I think we are in the midst of something bad," he said.

Jide crawled finally towards Mary and as he looked down, his heart almost jumped into his stomach.

The cry they had heard earlier was that of a woman, who sat beside a man, weeping and gnashing her teeth. The man had a large wound on his chest, and not far from them was a horse hanging on a spike, inside a hole. There were soldiers on either side, with the style of dressing, differentiating friends from enemies.

"Is this some kind of dispute?" Mary said for the first time that day.

"No, my lady," Goddison grunted and did not bother hiding the regret in his voice, "this is worse, it's a war."