21: Calm Before The Storm

THE GRINCH

    THE NEXT day was one of relaxation

    THE NEXT day was one of relaxation. Besides the dreadful knowledge that there is a war.

Tomorrow.

Most of us are gathered at Tony's house, spread around the cabin doing random things.

Uncle Steve and I are in one of the guest rooms, sketching. My father and his girlfriend are in the same room, sharpening their knives.

    Stevie puts his hand on my clothed arm, right over where the word is engraved in my skin, every so often to comfort, giving me knowing and understanding eyes every time.

It's calm in the room. I wish life could equal this amount of tranquility.

"Cap, Bucky is picking on me again!" Sam whines, entering the room loudly.

"How can I? I've been in here for an hour."

"Oh, never mind. What are you guys doing in here?" He sits beside me, peering over my shoulder to look at my notepad.

"Mentally planning ways to mortify you," my father casually replies. He continues to sharpen his weapons as if he didn't even speak.

"Steve." Sam drags out his name, pointing to Buck.

"That's not nice, Buck. Sam, stop being a tattle-tail." The SuperSoldier sets things straight.

I yawn, setting down the pencil I was drawing with.

"Did you and Buck get any sleep last night?" Natasha and I ignore the three bickering men.

"Not really, we stayed up watching movies. It was worth it though. We needed something like that before this all started up." I reason.

"I see," she nods with glint in her eyes that I can't identify.

"Boys- " she speaks up louder, overruling their volumes. "- let's go downstairs and eat lunch. We can put on a movie for everyone and relax. V-Athena can go check up early, and get it over and done with. It'll be the calm before the storm."

"Sounds like a great idea, honey." Bucky kisses her quickly on the forehead before dragging Sam out of the room with Steve following closely behind the two.

"I guess that means I need to go ahead and head over to home base?" I say more as a question, looking up at her with hopeful eyes.

"Sorry hun. It should be very quick and easy, like usual. When you get back you can stuff your face with candy and curl up to my side, how does that sound?"

I nod. "Great, I'll see you in a bit." I wave before heading out the door and leaving her in there to sharpen her knives.

Making my way downstairs, I'm caught up once again in this chaotic family.