10: Unwanted Surprises

TALK SOME SENSE TO ME

Alpha Kase played by Cody Christian

    EXITING THE well-guarded village, I make my way to where I saw the weird creature. Starting far East, I scout the area alone for any irregular activity.

    Yeah, you heard me. Alone. They let me go out of the barrier, alone. Sure they do that with missions, but it's still a very big thing for someone like me to be let out.

    Walking aimlessly outside the big stone walls, I stuff my hands in my pockets, breathing in the frigid air.

    This is a great way to celebrate my birthday.

    A quiet snap breaks the eerie silence of the forest. Sure it was quiet, but for me it was extremely loud with my hearing zoomed in on the slightest sound.

    I raise my new pistol in front of me, standing alert as I await another sound.

    Short, soft pants fill the air. Gotcha.

    Sprinting to the location, I find nothing. I'm now much farther from the village than intended to be.

    I raise my firearm once again upon hearing a low whine. Big, beady, yellow eyes gaze into mine as I finally find one of the large creature.

     Choosing a risky move, I slowly lower my weapon to the ground. "I'm come meaning no harm to you or your people." I talk as if they understand me.

    The horse-sized wolf sinks back into the shadows of the forest once again. I show signs of protest, reaching my hand out to the beastly creature. He growls warningly at me. I just glare, expressing my disapproval.

    Loud snaps that can only resemble bones breaking fill the void quietness. The large wolf turned into a man. A man!

    Shock is clearly written on my face, as I take a few steps back. Realizing quickly that I am showing signs of submission and cowardness, I stand my ground with my head held high.

    The man just snickers, crossing his arms. I roll my eyes, not backing down in the slightest.

    "Why are you here?" I question authoritatively.

     "We were here first." He responds casually.

     "We? Who's we?"

     I really need to stop asking that question. Coming out of the trees, large wolves creep forward. I huff, forming my body in a fighting stance. I'm ready to fight, or flight.

    "There will be no need for such hostility. We are not asking for war with your kind. We want our revenge on the monsters of the night."

     "The vampires? What did they do to you?" I ask curiously, still not relaxing my form.