The Tribe

“You and I, 
we are embers from the same fire, 
we are dust from the same star, 
we are echoes of the same love.”

●●●

It’s funny how life works, you expect certain things to happen but they don't. Sometimes you even expect your life to go downhill but it doesn't. That's what I had certainly thought when it felt like the world was turning on me and I was losing my person. I had felt hopeless, numb and angered, there was darkness in my life and all I had was Jojo. 

It felt like I couldn’t do anything right, when I felt on top in my career the world hated it and I had so many unresolved issues with the people I had once called family. For two years after my engagement with Galina ended I was stuck, I had good times with the people I loved and my career was moving forward. But deep down emotionally I knew that I hadn’t been moving forward, I would overthink things and wanted to protect everyone around me.

The Guy had been rising in the ranks but endlessly falling in life with nothing there to pull him back up. He had lost his Fearless Queen and been deceived by two of the people that had been the closest to him. 

He was angered and betrayed but deep down knew that he too had been at fault. His devotion to the Queen had led to The Man feeling betrayed, so he too was not innocent. He had always been blinded by his love for the Fearless Queen whether he knew the extent of it or not. That blinded him, made him turn into someone he didn’t like, not only had he come to be lonely at the top but there were times where all he had was his little girl to come home to.

He thought it was his fate to be unfulfilled and for awhile he accepted it because the love of his precious daughter could be enough. But his daughter’s love for the people that had become ghosts in his life made him realize how much he missed them in their absence. For the first time The Guy didn’t think of anyone else but himself and he took his Queen, he let her know how much he loved her even if it caused the world around them to crumble. If they had each other that was always all that mattered and the love they shared would always outweigh any other protests… 

In the last two years I learnt that sometimes you have to do what is best for you even if it doesn’t align with what you think the world wants from you. At the end of the day there would always be plenty of people that despised me, but the ones who mattered would always be there to drown it out.

It was my birthday today, a celebration of my life and I was surrounded by all the people that made me feel like it could be celebrated. Staring out into my backyard and seeing all the happy faces, hearing the laughter above the music it was hard to believe there was a time when I was celebrating it on my own.

“Can you believe a year ago I told you that I was pregnant and now my nipples are raw” Nicole’s voice broke my thoughts as I had just been standing in the doorway, having a grateful moment. 

I chuckled and glanced over my shoulder as she approached me and slid my arm around her waist while she placed a kiss into my neck.

“Is that why you wear lingerie to bed now? Cause I was used to you just stripping and pouncing me.”

“No, you just happen to be a test subject for any new BirdieBee lines”

I was an extremely proud husband and brother-in-law because their company was doing well. All I wanted was for Nicole to still feel fulfilled in her life even though she wasn’t as involved in wrestling as she used to be. They still did appearances here and there, and were featured by WWE so that was better than most people that were no longer with the business, they were still fortunate to be tied to it.