Chapter 26

"When you find your reason for living,
hold onto it.
Never let it go.
Even if it means burning other bridges
along the way."
Rush Finlay, Fallen too Far

◈◈◈

BATTLEGROUND

BATTLEGROUND

"You see anyone yet?" She questioned as Jojo was napping in order to catch the main event due to it airing quite late there.

"Nah. I mean I saw Jon at the live event Friday but haven't seen anyone really. I'm pretty much alone back here I can sense it, I'm not sure what changed since I left I mean there are hello's but everything is weird maybe its just me coming back here after being home for so long." I shrugged wishing she could be with me because I needed her on my lap as I buried my face in her neck with her words calming me.

I had gone a year without it, a year without her support before each match. A year without her waiting at the gorilla to pull me into a comforting embrace if the crowd was real rough or to beam if they happened to be enjoying my presence. And I had managed, well as best I could because there was nothing I could do, she had been injured and being back here would only hurt her and it would do the same now. Hurt both of us because if she were in the arena she wouldn't have been preparing me for the match but obligated to be with Seth.

Seth...Colby, the man I would now be alongside on a roster where most men probably hated me because to them a month at home wasn't really punishment when I was able to come back for a championship match. I wouldn't get it back, that I knew but I also knew Vince and despite the hiccup, he had plans for me. His last words were that he still had faith that I was the future, the same words he had told Nicole when she had walked backstage after claiming the title in a unconventional way.

I guess that's what made The Guy and The Fearless Queen resented by many and drove them into each other's arms. You have your share of friends yes but in the end everyone is clawing to the top and once they see you're up a step? Even the best people may have some hate for you, that's why I would never treat anyone differently if they showed me the same courtesy but I mostly stuck with family. Sure maybe you couldn't trust family but my family I knew I could. All we wanted was to see each other succeed, we were all aiming for different things...

But now I was alone, no family with my cousins over on Smackdown as well as Jon and Brie, Renee...

I was alone because I couldn't stand looking at Colby knowing all that I knew. I'd have to force myself to, that I knew but it wouldn't be easy...

"Joseph!" I blinked and saw her roll her eyes.

"Its only been a few days and you're bored with my company, Joe? " She narrowed her eyes and I chuckled not sure how my mind had gotten away with me when it was her that I wanted with me.