Chapter 14

"Too often.
The thing you want most
is the one thing you can't have."
◁Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy▷

●●●

4th July

4th July

"Daddy look! Maddy showed me how to do a splash!" Jojo screamed out as she stood on the diving board making me look over at her with a smile.

As soon as she realized she had my full attention she ran and dove into the pool, causing all of us to clap. A few only noticing due to the water making its way onto them as they stood poolside.

So long ago she hadn't even been able to swim, I had been the one floating with her set on top of me or swimming over to her as she sat poolside with Galina.

She was truly growing up so fast and although it killed me a bit knowing I wasn't around much

She was truly growing up so fast and although it killed me a bit knowing I wasn't around much. Me doing what I did, gave her the life I wanted for her and now with me not being champion it would make my schedule lighter and afford me more time with her.

She smiled brightly as she seemed satisfied with herself while Maddy lifted her into her arms, reminding me briefly of myself with my many sisters. Yes, being outnumbered by women and being the youngest on top of that had been a pain quite a lot, especially when I fucked up. But growing up in a household with women dominating caused me to be the man I was, I liked to believe.

I was learned to always love and respect who I was with. If I wanted to be with someone I had to know that if I wanted something I needed to put in the effort to get it. Not with gifts or anything but value her and show her how much I loved her by putting a smile on her face each day. Make her laugh so that her heart was filled with joy and be the anchor she needed when nothing could make her happier.

I needed to understand why I wanted to be with someone and not be rash or simply let my urges control me. I guess that's why I was never able to be the guy who approached a woman and asked for a number or had one night of hot steamy sex without calling the next day. My ex-wife and I had mutual interests which grew into a great love and once we chose to end things, there had been the fear that due to my views I was destined to be alone.