Small Blade: The Struggle for Trost (4)

~Your PoV~

The battle against the Titans continued unceasingly until the redemptive sound of the bell, announcing the retreat behind the wall, was heard. However, you all soon ran out of gas and since no one from the supply squad came and the warehouse was also surrounded by Titans, you were all stuck for the time being... 

The mood was as depressed as it could be after a fight for survival. Most of your fellow recruits just sat motionless on the rooftops, while they were lost in their grief and saw no way out. Slowly you doubted if they were even still alive, or had been eaten in spirit with their comrades.  

"Hey, Jean!", you hear Connie, who arrived together with you and Felix on the roof where the others were, call. Christa and Ymir were no longer with you since you got separated on the way. "What are we going to do now?!", Connie continues as he runs toward Jean, who was sitting on the roof. You and Felix stayed behind and just listened to their loud conversation.

"There's nothing we can do," Jean replies, with his head drooping, "Finally the order comes to retreat, but we can't climb the wall anymore because we're out of gas. And we all going to die...! Just because of those miserable cowards!" 

"Are you talking about the supply squad? What the hell is going on with them?! Where are they?", Connie asks angrily. 

"They probably lost their will to fight. I can understand that, but...They were supposed to supply us with gas, but instead, they've barricaded themselves in the headquarters and as you'd expect, now the Titans have gathered around them and we can't supply ourselves with gas on our own!"

"Then we'll just have to risk everything and eliminate the Titans around the headquarters! Hanging around here doing nothing is completely pointless! Sooner or later, the Titans will gather here too!", Connie realizes, "We have hardly any gas left. Let's fight instead of fleeing from them. If we lose our mobility, we're screwed for good!" 

Jean sighs defeated. "You're using, for once, your head, how nice. But do you really think we can do this with our current fighting strength? Our colleagues from the vanguard have almost all been wiped out. Who among us recruits could take command of such a death-defying operation? Heh, and even if someone could command them, we're powerless against the Titans anyway. The gas storage room will probably be teeming with Titans of the 3 to 4-meter class. Under these circumstances, we can't possibly refuel there."

Connie paused for a moment as the realization hit him. "So that's it?"

"What a meaningless, insignificant life... If someone told me beforehand..."

You'd heard enough and approach the two of them. "And do you think sitting around here regretting your life is going to help you?"

Jean looks up when he hears your voice. "(Y/n)? How long have you been here? Aren't you supposed to be in the elite unit?"

"Long enough to listen to your pathetic whining," you reply tersely, "Nothing will change if you just give up."

Before Jean or Connie could say anything to you, your attention was diverted by someone calling your name. Turning around, you saw Mikasa, who had just landed on the roof.

"Are you all right?", she asks you as she walks toward you, "You suddenly disappeared."

"Yes. I just got separated from you guys. But I was able to quickly join another unit," you answer her, "Judging by the bells, everything worked out?"

"Yes.", Mikasa replies to you before looking at the ground for a moment and then suddenly catching you off guard, "I understand the current situation. And sorry to bring my personal feelings into it. But have you seen Eren's squad anywhere?" 

In the corner of your eye, you saw Felix flinch. You, too, are briefly at a loss for words, but you quickly regain your composure before anyone notices anything. "Armin knows better than I do. He's sitting back there," you tell her while pointing your finger at Armin, who was sitting motionless on the roof, looking sternly down like the others.

Mikasa thanked you before going to Armin. She asked about Eren, which made Armin shout out in a loud voice. "The members, of the recruit group 34, Thomas Wagner, Nac Tierce, Milieus Zermuski, Mina Carolina and Eren Jäger. A total of 5 recruits died in battle in fulfilment of their duty, as heroes!" Armin cries.

"Group 34 was almost completely wiped out...", one of the recruits said.

The mood became even more depressed after what Armin shared. You lost more and more hope, that anyone would decide to stand against the Titans once more.

But Mikasa, who addresses you again, proved you wrong. "(Y/n), if we get rid of the Titans crowding around the headquarters, we can fill up our gas tanks and climb the wall together. That's the way it is, isn't it?"

"Yeah, you're right about that," you nod in agreement.

"But there are just too many!", Marco interrupts, "Even with (Y/n) and you, we can't...-"

Now it was Mikasa who interrupted Marco. "I can do it. I am strong. Very strong. Much stronger than you. Do you hear me? I'm a warrior, and that's why I'll destroy all the Titans who stand in our way! I don't need your help! You are not only incompetent but also cowardly. You disappoint me. But you can stay here and whine. Go ahead!"

Immediately, protests were raised that Mikasa could never do it alone and had gone crazy.

"If I don't make it, I die, but if I win, I survive." With these words, Mikasa turned her back on you, shot the anchors of the ODM gear into the highest and closest building and rushed away.

published: January 26, 2024
edited: July 12, 2024