Starry Sky: Humanity's Comeback (3)

~Your PoV~

The Commandant of the 104th Cadet Corps looked almost like the old cook your Aunt Viola employed. They both were even bald. After only a few words you could already imagine that he had to be even stricter during training. Which, in your opinion, was perhaps not such a bad thing. If a cadet was already afraid of the Commandant, then they probably wouldn't be able to become a good soldier.

"Since everything is arranged, you can stay here. Someone will show you around and give you the necessary equipment. There will be punishments for breaking the rules! So stick to them!" the Commandant finally said to you before turning to the other cadets who seemed to be putting something away. Probably some equipment from training, you thought to yourself, "Hey, Wagner! Show (L/n) around the barracks and show her everything!"

The blond-haired boy who was addressed looked a bit conflicted before eventually saying, "Sir, it's my turn for stable duty after we clean up..." Just by his expression and tone, you could clearly tell he was intimidated by the Commandant.

Before the Commandant could respond, a blonde-haired girl with blue eyes approaches you. " I would like to do it, sir!"

"Well, then you will be the one explaining and showing (L/n) everything, Lenz," he says before heading off, not giving you the chance to ask a question. But to be honest, you didn't really want to either.

The girl who wanted to show you around immediately walks up to you with a smile on her face. "Hello, I'm Christa Lenz. It's nice to meet you!"

You nod briefly. "(Y/n) (L/n). Nice to meet you too, Christa."

After your greetings, you set off. Christa showed you everything there was to see here. The dining hall, the stables for the horses, the storage rooms, the dorms, the classrooms, and so on. She also told you that today was the aptitude test for the 3D maneuver, though you didn't miss much else.

"At first, I didn't think I could do it either. But it's actually not as difficult as it looks. If you concentrate a bit, it is working," Christa says when she talks about the aptitude test. "By the way, why did you just arrive now? After all, the Cadet Corps started a few days ago. Oh, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, of course!"

"It's all right. It's really no big mystery. My carriage was just late. The Commandant knew about everything, which is why it wasn't a problem that I arrived late."

Eventually, Christa had shown you everything there was to show and also told you everything that was important. Since it was getting late, you immediately headed to the dining hall together, as did the rest of the cadets.

Just before the door you were stopped by a girl with brown hair and freckles. She eyed you suspiciously before turning to Christa. " Yo, Christa, who's that?"

Christa wasn't bothered by the girl's clearly displeased behavior, but smiled kindly, just like before. "Ah, Ymir! This is (Y/n). She just arrived today. I was showing her around."

You just nodded your head with an agreeing hum, as you weren't sure what else to do. A 'nice to meet you, Ymir' seemed out of place with the way she was looking at you.

Ymir clicked her tongue, visibly disinterested in you and your presence. "I'm hungry, and I'm going to go inside now." Without waiting for a response, she turns her back to you and walks towards the dining hall.

"Ymir is pretty cynical most of the time, but behind her facade, she's actually kindhearted," Christa said before you continue walking towards the dining hall as well.

Once again you merely nodded in response, not feeling in a position to say anything about her statement since you didn't know Ymir well enough for that.