Ongoing Battle: The Struggle for Trost (3)

~Your PoV~

"(Y/n). You were also assigned to the Elite Unit." Mikasa approached you as you joined her and the other soldiers of the elite unit.

You nodded. "That's right. Ian mentioned that you were also assigned to the Eilte Unit."

"That is correct."

"Then let's both do our best. It's always good to fight alongside you, Mikasa." A faint smile appeared on your lips. You always had immense respect for Mikasa's fighting abilities. She was so talented, but she never prided herself on it.

"The feeling is mutual."

And before you know it, you are ordered to move out. The situation was worse than you had feared. Many Titans had already managed to push their way through the ranks of soldiers to the civilians. Which could only mean that a large number of them had already been killed. Which in turn meant that your chances were very slim. Besides, you couldn't stop thinking that all this might be useless anyway, should the Armored Titan show up and destroy the Inner Gate.

And right now, when the Survey Corps was needed the most, they left for a mission outside the walls. Just like five years ago. The timing was always really bad.

You did relatively well and saved the lives of many civilians. But something seemed to be delaying the evacuation. You certainly didn't have the feeling that the number of civilians was decreasing. However, you also didn't have time to get to the bottom of it with all the Titans around you.

You are killing a Titan when Ian suddenly calls you to him. "Trainee (L/n). You've done well so far. I want you to keep advancing towards the center of town with Rico and take care of the Titans before they get to Inner Gate. Understood?"

"Yes, sir!"

You continue to fight. Only, an unforeseen situation arose in which you were cut off from your unit. You had no other option but to advance alone towards the middle ranks and try to join another unit there.

You were following across the rooftops when you suddenly saw someone familiar. It was Felix, crouched in front of a titan, about to be eaten.

You turn around and are heading straight for his direction when you see Felix continuing to cower on the roof and the Titan reaching out for him, but before anything worse can happen you shoot an anchor into the Titan's neck before pulling yourself towards it with a push of the gas and cutting out its neck.

The Titan's dead body crashes onto the roof, causing some damage. You jump down from its head and run to Felix, who is still crouching on the ground, completely frozen.

"Felix! Are you hurt?" You kneel in front of him and put a hand on his shoulder. In response, he just shook his head.

"That's good," you say, "Your team's probably been wiped out completely, right?"

".... yes... There was nothing I could do...", Felix whispers as tears ran down his face again. He felt incredibly guilty.

"Don't blame yourself. However, why are you just sitting there idly while a Titan is standing in front of you?" You always knew Felix wasn't the bravest or most capable soldier, but this was a whole new level.

"I don't know... I couldn't move..."

You look at him with a blank expression for a few moments as Felix is still crying. You stand up and pull Felix up with you. "Anyway, we shouldn't stay here any longer than necessary. Let's go."

Felix nods numbly before you two fly away with the 3D maneuver.

"(Y/n)! Felix!", someone suddenly calls your names after you have flown over the roofs for a few minutes. You turn your head towards the shout when you see Connie waving at you. With him were Ymir and Christa.

Felix and you landed near the three before Connie spoke;"(Y/n)? Weren't you assigned to the elite squad?"

"Things have changed. I have been separated," you reply shortly.

"Anyway, do you know what's going on with Group 34? Armin was completely out of it and left before we could ask him what's up with the others", Christa explains worriedly, "Weren't you in the same team, Felix?"

Felix flinched when he heard his name in connection with Group 34. He tries to answer Christa, but not a word left his mouth, which is why you speak for him. "I am assuming they didn't make it. When I happened to pass by, Felix was the only one still alive. I didn't see any signs of the others."

Christa and Connie looked shocked. Their eyes were widened not only by the cruel news but also by how dryly and unemotionally you announced it.

"I told you so," Ymir, who believed from the beginning that the others were dead, breaks the silence, "We have no time to dawdle around here any longer. We are completely unprotected here. We'll be eaten by the Titans as well!"

"All right. Come on, let's get out of here.", Christa agrees, "Are you two ok? Can you walk?"

"Yes, everything's okay with us," you say to Christa, which calms her down.

"Then let's leave already," Ymir urges, "Now that (Y/n) is here, at least I don't have to exert myself anymore."

~°•°•°•◇•°•°•°~

~Mikasa Ackermann PoV~

After Mikasa got rid of another Titan, who was threatening the civilians and got the boss of the trading company to release the gate, he blocked with his cart, thus slowing down the evacuation, she stood on a roof next to Ian while it started raining.

"You did good, Ackermann. I'm impressed," he praised her.

"I did what I thought was right. (Y/n) would have been faster, after all, she's the fastest of the two of us. But thanks. I just have to be more careful in the future. The attack ruined my blades. I'll be more careful next time," Mikasa says as she drops her worn blades from the device.

"What have you been through in your life to be so calm," Ian asks stunned before he notices his insensitive behaviour and apologizes, "Sorry. Forget what I said."

Ian walks forward on the roof. "We go further. Maybe we'll find (L/n) again," he orders.

~°•°•°•◇•°•°•°~

~Your PoV~

A battle cry was heard as another Titan fell to the ground. The circumstances became even more difficult as it started to rain, affecting the view and it is not very pleasant when the raindrops whip you in the face and your clothes are soaked.

Felix looks at you with amazed eyes. You were incredibly fast and agile, still attacking with precision after such a long fight. You were incredible! No wonder they wanted you in the elite unit.

"Look at (Y/n)," Connie shouts impressed.

"I knew you were a thousand times more helpful than that idiot over there," Ymir says.
"And who the hell are you calling an idiot?!" Connie barks at her angrily.

You kill another Titan who crosses your path. Will this ever end...?

published: January 20, 2021
edited: August 26, 2023