A Dim Light Amid Despair: Humanity's Comeback (1)

-3 years later-

The forest was quiet, all that could be heard was the clacking of the horses' hooves. "We will arrive soon, young lady.", the coachman says to his passenger.

"All right...", your voice can be heard.

~Felix Altenberg PoV~

The 104th Cadet Corps began and everyone who thinks that they have what it takes to be a soldier faced the instructor. Even after the short time of initiation, Felix was able to tell that the instructor was someone you didn't want to cross.

Once everyone has made their way to the square and been shown how to salute properly, Commandant Shadis walks through the ranks asking, no shouting, at the newcomers who they are, where they are from, and why they are here.

"Hey, you there!" he starts with the first, a blond-haired boy, "Tell me who you are!"

"Armin Arlert. I'm from the Shiganshina District," he replies in an anxiety-laced voice. When Felix heard the word Shiganshina he had to flinch.

"Well, well, your name sounds stupid. Did your parents give it to you?" the Commandant replied in a loud voice. Felix wondered if the Commandant always shouted like that normally, too.

"No, my grandfather."

The Commandant leaned down so that he could look Armin directly in the eye with his sharp gaze. "Arlert, why exactly are you here?!"

"To be of use to the victory of mankind!" he speaks in a firm voice as he squints his eyes shut.

"Nah, that's cute. You'll make splendid Titan fodder!" Shadies says mockingly. "Third-row: turn." He turns Armin by his head, while the others immediately comply with the order.

The fearsome Commandant moves to the next row. "Come on you, Maggot, introduce yourself!"

"Yes. Thomas Wagner. I'm from the Trost District!" he introduces himself, just before the Commandant has something to complain about again. "You speak too quietly!"

The boy named Thomas starts again, with the Commandant interrupting him each time, until he picks the next victim - A black-haired girl. "Next! Who are you!"

"I'm Mina Carolina I'm from-" The Commandant interrupts her loudly; "Wrong! You're just useless and you're from the pigsty!"

"Yes, I am worthless and come from the pigsty!" she immediately repeats.

The Commandant interrupts her again. "Shut up! I decide here what you are and what you are not!"

"Yes, sir!", she yells in a high-pitched voice as Shadies moves to the next; "Who are you? You loser!"

The one addressed saluted. A boy with a grin too cocky for Felix's liking. "I am Jean Kirschstein. I'm from the Trost District!"

"And why exactly, are you here?!"

"To join the Military Police and live in the Inner District," he replies after a moment's hesitation.

"Oh, so you want to go to the Inner District?"

"Yes.", he agrees enthusiastically. Suddenly, the Commandant headbutts him, causing Jean Kirschstein to immediately kneel down in pain.

"Who gave you permission to kneel down?!" the Commandant yells at him, "Do you think that people who are already slacking off can join the Military Police?!"

He pays no more attention to the whimpering Jean, still squatting on the floor, and moves on to the next one. "Who are you!!! And why are you here!"

"Marco Bott, I'm from Jinae behind Wall Rose. I want to join the Military Police and sacrifice my life for the King." Marco Bott's eyes were sparkling just like a child's eyes when he said that.