The Forest of Giant Trees: The 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (2)

~Your PoV~

Armin, Jean, Reiner and you had somehow survived the confrontation with the intelligent Titan. Except that things weren't looking too good for you right now. Armin was injured and only one of your horses came back. Besides, it's dangerous to stay in open space. You can't use the 3D manoeuvre and you don't have a horse to flee fast enough. So after all that you had been through, that should be the way you will die?

What also concerns you is the fact that the Titan was making her way to the rear center. Almost as if she suddenly knew that Eren was there....

Reiner bandages Armin's head. Fortunately, he wasn't badly hurt and his ODM Gear was still working too. Meanwhile, Jean tried to whistle for his horse.

"Hey, (Y/n), sorry again about earlier. I must have overlooked you in the heat of the moment," Reiner addresses you as he finishes patching up Armin and rises from his crouch behind him.

You take a few steps towards them. Until now you had been on the lookout for potential danger. "It's alright. Everything worked out fine."

"You sure you didn't hurt yourself?"

"I was worried I twisted my ankle or something. But..." You stamp your right foot three times on the ground, "Doesn't seem to be anything serious. The foot's fine."

"You've always been lucky when it comes to injuries, haven't you? Everybody else would have been completely thrown off their feet by something like that, but you always carry on as if nothing had happened," Armin says, "But are you sure your foot is alright?"

You nod. "Yes, I can move it normally without pain."

"Your injuries always seemed to heal pretty fast anyway, (Y/n)," Reiner says, and for a moment you had the feeling that he was emphasizing the sentence as if he wanted to elicit a confession from you.

You shrug your shoulders. "I guess I'm just lucky."

"Anyway, we need to make a decision soon," Reiner says with a serious expression, "Let's face it, not all of us can go."

As Reiner said this, Jean stopped whistling and turned to look at you.

But as bad as it might be, Reiner was definitely right. And you also couldn't imagine that your comrades hadn't already thought of who best to leave behind.

There were arguments for each of you why you shouldn't stay behind. However, there were also just as many arguments against it. There was no "fair" decision.

"Wait.", Armin intervenes as he gets up from the ground, "Let's fire a smoke signal first. If everyone has continued straight ahead, the 3rd group of the 4th row should be around here somewhere."

Jean shoots a purple smoke signal into the air. It indicates that there is an emergency. Whether anyone would come, however, was another question. Besides, you can't stay here much longer.

When Reiner again states that you should only wait three more minutes, and in that time you must decide who will stay here, Armin volunteers. "I will stay here, but if I can't come with you, please pass on some information. If possible, only to Commander Erwin himself.-"

Jean, who was on the lookout, interrupts Armin. "No need, Armin. Looks like you can report it to him yourself!"

Someone came riding towards you. And she had three horses with her too. Looks like the tide has turned for the better for you!

The person was now slowly coming up to close where you could make him out."Isn't that..." Jean tried to see who it was, "Christa!"

No sooner did he realize this than Christa called out to you. "Hey! Are you all right?"