A Promise: What should We do now? (4)

~Felix Altenberg PoV~

Felix was sitting at a table with his comrade during breakfast. It had been over two weeks since he and the others joined the Survey Corps. And a lot has happened already. There were rumors that Section Leader Mike's Squad had been ambushed by the Armored Titan. That was rather eerie for Felix, but he reassured himself with the fact that it was not officially confirmed.

"'Did you guys hear? The expedition is supposed to take place as originally planned, after all," Connie said, sitting down next to Felix with his plate.

Ymir, who sat the farthest away next to Christa, snorted her nose derisively. "Huh, well of course everyone already knows that. Unlike you, we didn't sleep during the meeting yesterday."

"Oh, shut up!" Connie replied in an irritated voice, yet one could clearly hear how dejected he was. "... Do you think the story about the Armored Titan is true?"

"Yes. It is. (Y/n) told me so," Ymir says.

Connie doesn't answer but only gave an "Mh" before dropping his gaze to the tabletop.

"I'm sure Commander Erwin knows what he's doing," Armin says with an encouraging smile, "If he wasn't 100 percent sure the mission is going to be a success, he probably wouldn't go through with it as planned."

"You're probably right," Connie says, yet his optimism didn't necessarily seem to improve.

Felix wasn't able to be so optimistic either. Although he also thinks that Commander Erwin is an excellent commander, doesn't the Survey Corps practically represent going on hopeless and dangerous missions over and over again in the hope that they can make a difference?

Their conversation was interrupted when Mikasa came to their table. She had no plate with her.

"Armin, have you seen Eren?" she asked immediately.

Armin thought for a moment but then shook his head. "No, not since yesterday."

"The rest of you?", Mikasa questioningly turned to Felix and his friends, but they too had to answer her question in the negative. With a nod of her head, Mikasa then left as quickly as she came.

"Did something happen?", Felix finally asks with caution, even though he knows Mikasa's behavior doesn't have to mean anything since she was always worried about Eren.

"Ah, no, don't worry," Armin immediately denies, "He was just in a bad mood last night."

~Your PoV~

Now that it has been announced that the expedition behind the walls will take place, the preparations are going on at full speed.

To your positive surprise, you were feeling steadily better and better. You could sleep nearly as much as before without being woken up by any nightmare. Finally, you had a calm state of mind for the first time in a long time.

But even though your mood was a little better than usual, you were still worried about the coming expedition. On one hand, you knew that the Military Police expected results and that if you refused to go on the expedition, they would most likely kill Eren. On the other hand, you also didn't want to face another rough awakening. Of course, you knew what you were getting into when you joined the Survey Corps, but to walk into such an obvious danger so willingly seemed incongruous to you.

The present situation once again showed the trust that your comrades had in the decisions of the commander. A trust that you could not share at the moment. Nevertheless, it was out of the question for you to withdraw from the 57th expedition. You couldn't let your comrades, with whom you had gone through so much together in such a short time, move out on their own. Besides, you knew your purpose.