Met at Night: Restocking of the Supply Base (1)

~Your PoV~

More days went by and your first big mission came closer and closer. In the meantime, you learned from third-hand sources that Felix was among the new recruits. However, you haven't met in person yet and after he was so repulsive to you, you thought that maybe this would be the right time for him to take a step toward you.

You are currently on your way to the training ground to meet Eren. You are still training together and you have to admit that he had already improved a little bit.

"Well then, today we'll start with..." you begin as Eren finishes your sentence.

"With hand-to-hand combat. As always, right?"

You just nod in response. Again, your mind was elsewhere. You were hoping to distract yourself with training, but somehow it wasn't really working. Your dreams were no longer plagued by the nightmare of the flames, but by what you read in Ilse Langer's notebook, paired with the strange behavior of her mother.

"I think it's better if I turn my foot more outward. It's a better way to keep your balance," Eren says as you continue to tweak his technique.

"Try it, but you shouldn't turn your foot out too much or you'll lose a good bit of balance," you counter.

Lately, he's been getting more ideas and knowledge than before. "Say, you seem to be really preparing yourself, huh? Armin told me you've been going through book after book."

"Oh, Armin is totally exaggerating. I was just doing a little research before our training," he says, a little embarrassed. He must have been embarrassed that you had caught him. After all, he was trying to impress you with his knowledge.

"Is that so..." you say, pondering, as an idea comes to your mind, "Speaking of informing, maybe, I can think of a good thing for our training."

"Oh really, and what?"

"I don't think it's such a bad idea to get some other opinions from our comrades. I know Felix did that with his friends. He asked me a few times for some tips and technical stuff. Not only can you learn something like that, but you also get more aware of your moves that way when you explain them to others."

"So you want me to talk to the others and ask for advice?" he says, not entirely convinced by your idea.

"That's right. That's what you do, quite often anyway. So now try to explain your movements too, so they know where you stand," you explain, "Why not give it a try. How about you start with Mikasa?"

Eren gave you a not very enthusiastic look. "What, why Mikasa?"

"Why, because she's a good soldier, of course, and you can learn a thing or two from her," you counter. You knew Eren couldn't stand how overprotective she is with him at all. "And while you're at it, you should talk to Armin too. He may not be the strongest, but he's good at analyzing the others and figuring out how they accomplish certain things."

"Don't you think that's a waste of time? We might as well keep training in that time. There's more to be gained from that, isn't there?"

"First comes a plan, then comes execution. Or have you gotten to the point where you're questioning your trainer's strategies?" you say.

He looked away. "I didn't mean it that way."

"Besides, we won't be able to train together much in the near future anyway."

"Because of the replenishment mission."

"Yes, that's right," you nodded. You'll be training along with Section Leader Mike's squad so you can get comfortable with each other before the mission starts. Teamwork was a crucial factor, after all, and it was important to know how the others were operating so you could work perfectly together.