Wound: The Struggle for Trost (9)

~Your PoV~

Eren hits the spot where Mikasa is standing with his fist. A large hole remains on the roof, but Mikasa manages to jump away in time. She slides over the roof tiles and finally comes to a stop because of a chimney she has crashed into.

"Mikasa!" you shout and want to rush to her, but it doesn't happen, because Eren strikes again with his other fist. This time it's dangerous for you too, so you have to jump away as well. You make it to the next roof. The whirled up brick pieces land to your left and right. Fortunately, you weren't hit. Even though it didn't look like it, the broken pieces were sharp and can quickly leave a cut if you get hit the wrong way.

Mikasa jumps into the air just before Eren can catch her. Using the ODM gear, she pulls herself up to Eren's face and lands on his nose. To avoid falling off, she holds onto his hair.

"Hey, Ackermann, stop it! Get away from there right now!", Ian commands.

But Mikasa didn't listen to Ian and tries to explain to Eren that he needs to close the gate with the boulder. While Mikasa tries to talk to Eren, he now grumbled angrily. He really reminded you of a real Titan now. 

Eren did not react to Mikasa's words. His left hand, which had been injured when he hit the roof, regenerated. He clenched it into a fist and swung another punch. Ian noticed it in time, which is why he was able to warn Mikasa. Just in time, Mikasa manages to dodge.

Eren, who had knocked himself out with the punch, falls to the ground. Meanwhile, Rico fired a red smoke signal. This announced that the operation had failed.

"What's the matter with that boy? He's just as stupid as the other Titans!", Mitabi says. 

"Captain Ian! Two Titans are approaching directly from the front! One of the 10-meter class and one of the 6-meter class. There is also a 12-meter class Titan heading our way from behind!" reports one of the soldiers.

"Ian, we're withdrawing!", Mitabi says.

"Yes, we have no choice. We have to leave him here," Rico also agrees, earning a cold look from Mikasa.

"Should we just leave Eren here to die?" you point out.

"There's nothing else we can do. That kid will never close the hole for us!", Mitabi counters.

Rico and Mitabi continue to try to persuade Ian to retreat after he still didn't say anything after a while. Mikasa, of course, was completely against leaving Eren here, and you also think it's not a good idea.

"Team Rico, you take out the 12-meter titan. Mitabi's team and my team will deal with the two titans coming from the front," Captain Ian finally orders.

"Are you insane?!" Rico shouts at Ian in a loud voice and takes a step towards him. 

"I was the one put in charge. So follow your orders! We can't leave Jaeger in this condition! We're changing the operation. We will protect Jaeger from the Titans until we can get him to safety. Even if it doesn't look like it right now, he's an opportunity for humanity. We can't give up on him so quickly! Because unlike us, there is no replacement for him," the Captain explains. 

"So you're seriously going to recover this failed human weapon -even though countless people have already died- and then repeat this operation?" Rico says in an angry voice.

"Yes! No matter how many people die, we have to keep trying to defeat the Titans!", Ian replies. Rico and Mitabi are shocked.

"Ian, you can't be serious!" Rico protests.

 "How else do you think humanity should defeat the Titans? Please tell me, how else can we find a way out of this situation? What are we supposed to do to win against the overwhelming might of the Titans if we want to preserve our humanity and avoid victims at the same time?"